The internal combustion engine

So this engine has 6 cylinders.In summary, the conversation discussed the number of cylinders in a four-stroke internal combustion engine based on the number of ticks produced by the piston in a certain number of crankshaft rotations. The individual asking the question did not know how to calculate this and needed help. The solution involved understanding the relationship between crankshaft rotations and piston ticks and determining that the engine in question had 6 cylinders.
Ugnius

Homework Statement

Hi , I'm struggling with new paragraph about internal engines.
When four-stroke internal combustion engine spins crankshaft 100 times , piston does 300 ticks.
How many cilinders does engine has?

Homework Equations

I don't know how to create equation to calculate that , i need help.

The Attempt at a Solution

None , i don't have equation

Physics news on Phys.org
Ugnius said:

Homework Statement

Hi , I'm struggling with new paragraph about internal engines.
When four-stroke internal combustion engine spins crankshaft 100 times , piston does 300 ticks.
How many cilinders does engine has?

Homework Equations

I don't know how to create equation to calculate that , i need help.

The Attempt at a Solution

None , i don't have equation

Hi Ugnius! :oldsmile:

A four-stroke engine has 1 ignition in every 2 turns of the crankshaft (intake - compress - ignition - expand - exhaust).
It's the ignition that gives the tick.
So if we'd have 1 piston, we'd have 50 ticks, but instead we have 300 ticks...

1. What is an internal combustion engine?

An internal combustion engine is a type of engine that generates power by burning fuel inside a confined space. This process creates expanding gases, which push against the engine's components and ultimately produce motion.

2. How does an internal combustion engine work?

An internal combustion engine works by using a series of small controlled explosions to drive a piston. These explosions occur in a cylinder, where a mixture of air and fuel is ignited by a spark plug. The resulting explosion forces the piston to move, which in turn drives the engine's crankshaft and produces power.

3. What are the main components of an internal combustion engine?

The main components of an internal combustion engine include the cylinder, piston, crankshaft, valves, spark plugs, and fuel injector. These components work together to create the controlled explosions that power the engine.

4. What are the advantages of an internal combustion engine?

Internal combustion engines are widely used because they are relatively simple, efficient, and cost-effective. They also have a high power-to-weight ratio, making them suitable for a variety of applications such as cars, motorcycles, and small aircraft.

5. What are the environmental impacts of internal combustion engines?

Internal combustion engines produce emissions that contribute to air pollution and climate change. However, advancements in technology have led to more efficient and cleaner engines. There are also alternative fuels, such as biofuels and electricity, that can reduce the environmental impact of internal combustion engines.