Insights The Isaac Newton Quiz - Comments

epenguin

Homework Helper
Gold Member
9/12 and there was a reason. I thought. 48 was too old for the portrait that I remembered. Given the shortness of life expectancy back then I thought Queen Anne was leaving it late for a knighthood. The last one was sheer ignorance, I do not know what Arithmetica Universalis is, I must have read of it but have no memory of it.

epenguin

Homework Helper
Gold Member
9/12 and there was a reason. I thought. 48 was too old for the portrait that I remembered. Given the shortness of life expectancy back then I thought Queen Anne was leaving it late for a knighthood. The last one was sheer ignorance, I do not know what Arithmetica Universalis is, I must have read of it but have no memory of it.
A more familiar name than 'Arianism' is 'Unitarianism'. Early unitarians did exist in England in Newton's time,: "The word Unitarian had been circulating in private letters in England, in reference to imported copies of such publications as the Library of the Polish Brethren who are called Unitarians (1665). Henry Hedworth was the first to use the word "Unitarian" in print in English (1673)" - Wikipeida. The real history as a Church and movement is rather later: Joseph Priestley was a famous adherent.

Given his character I'd guess Newton is more likely to have arrived at the doctrine through his own reasonings, but whether he had any influential ocontact with anyone of that persuasion I'll see what the biog. "Never at Re∫te" says when I am near it in a week or two.

Last edited:
5 too. Just passed. Not bad for blind guessing! Seriously, I had no idea on the vast majority of these questions.

5 too. Just passed. Not bad for blind guessing! Seriously, I had no idea on the vast majority of these questions.
People with more correct answers clearly have a larger memory storage. 5 is an average number. I've tried to reach 7 but always failed. I am amazed to see those who can reach over 10, it's fantastic. ?:)

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Very nice. Only 5/12 and I really liked old Isaacs performance in "Dark Matter" by Philip Kerr and in the Baroque trilogy by Neal Stephenson.

Aren't questions 2 and 10 a cheap way to score two points (or at least to score an extra point -- If you pay attention, as I did not) ?

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
[edit] deleted BvU

Last edited:

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There is something really wrong here. What I type gets appended instead of posted !

BvU

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
There is something really wrong here. What I type gets appended instead of posted !
unless I add a bunch of empty lines ?

There is a bug in the system. I have been emailing the developer.

nyteriastevens

hard for ,e to i am failing science any way

6/12. Actually surprised myself, even though it's that high of a score.

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member
8/12. #10 answered #2 for me.

cnh1995

Homework Helper
Gold Member
6/12.. Satisfactory!

6 - I was sure, I did better, but no!