1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Klein-Gorden Equation and the Mass-Sqaured Factor -a question on natural units

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Consistency question regarding the dimensions of the KG Equation.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]M^2=\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex] for a quantization of gravitational charge on matter

3. The attempt at a solution

I know a few things however concerning the KG equation. It is directly related to a relativistic equation which is directly a consequence or rather an absolute solution to the Dirac Equation.

The Klein-Gorden Equation if my memory serves me correctly can be given under natural units... and looking quickly through some notes, this is given as:

[tex]-\partial^{2}_{t} \psi + \nabla^2 \psi=M^2 \psi[/tex]

Now since [itex]M^2[/itex] has a natural unit dimensionality, the equation if derived independantly was:

[tex]M^2=\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex]

So since the natural units of dimensionality cannot be disputed with the Klein-Gorden Equation under the same consistency, it seems that the mass-squared signature would not alter the equation, but the equation would have a new quantized interpretation.

Now, since the KG Equation is used for a spinless quantum field, which should not i would have suspected alter the issue i raised, because it turns out that spin really isn't a physical spin at all, but rather the element for particles with some angular momentum. Nevertheless, since the equation i modified, (which i will simply name as the 'Modified Klein-Gorden Equation,') the KG Equation itself does describe the quantum amplitude for finding a point particle in various places in spacetime, which is of course, perfectly consistent for any quantized locality.

The modified equation i gave, was, as i take you through the derivations of a quantized charge:

[tex]GM^2=\hbar c[/tex]

thus

[tex]M^2=\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex]

Therego, my question enhanced is, surely this must be true, keeping to usual rules yes?

[tex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \left(\partial_{\mu} \phi \right)^2 - \frac{1}{2} \frac{\hbar c}{G} \phi^2 [/tex]

So here i have replaced the [tex]M^2[/tex] signature with the quantization of [tex]\frac{\hbar c}{G}[/tex] whilst pertinently remaining with the use of natural units. Thus, the modified equation would describe a qantization of the gravitational charge on a mass in some field [tex]\phi[/tex].

It seems reasonable no? Or am i missing something pertient?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2
    Re: The Klein-Gorden Equation and the Mass-Sqaured Factor -a question on natural unit

Can no one answer this for me... it's very imortant, and i would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook