The late Prof Sir Tom Kibble awarded Isaac Newton medal

• News
  • Thread starter Jonathan Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton sir
In summary, Prof Sir Tom Kibble has been awarded The Isaac Newton Medal posthumously for his outstanding contributions to physics, particularly in the development of theories about the Higgs boson. He was known for his kindness and encouragement, and his death was a month ago. More information about him can be found on the Imperial College website.
Jonathan Scott
Gold Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36675894
Prof Sir Tom Kibble has been posthumously awarded the highest UK honour for physics.

Prof Kibble has been awarded The Isaac Newton Medal by the Institute of Physics for his outstanding lifelong commitment to the field.

He is noted for his work in the development of theories about the Higgs boson.

On a personal note, he was very kind and encouraging when I spoke to him about some of my unconventional ideas about physics when I was a student (on the Computing Science course) at Imperial College in the 1970s.

Likes mister mishka
Physics news on Phys.org
He's dead?!
I'm just getting the news from this thread!
R.I.P.

I didn't know much about him until I saw this video, seems like he came close to winning the Nobel prize several times..

Likes Jonathan Scott

What is the Isaac Newton medal?

The Isaac Newton medal is an award given by the Institute of Physics to recognize outstanding contributions to the field of physics. It is considered one of the highest honors in the field.

Who was Prof Sir Tom Kibble?

Prof Sir Tom Kibble was a renowned British physicist who made significant contributions to the field of theoretical physics, particularly in the area of quantum field theory. He is best known for his work on the Higgs mechanism, which explains the origin of mass in particles.

Why was Prof Sir Tom Kibble awarded the Isaac Newton medal?

Prof Sir Tom Kibble was awarded the Isaac Newton medal for his groundbreaking work on the Higgs mechanism and his contributions to the development of the Standard Model of particle physics. His work has had a profound impact on our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

How is the recipient of the Isaac Newton medal selected?

The recipient of the Isaac Newton medal is selected by a committee of experts appointed by the Institute of Physics. The committee considers nominations from the physics community and carefully evaluates the candidates' contributions to the field before making a decision.

What is the significance of receiving the Isaac Newton medal?

Receiving the Isaac Newton medal is a great honor and a recognition of the recipient's exceptional contributions to the field of physics. It also serves as a reminder of the lasting impact of Isaac Newton's work and the importance of continued advancements in the field of physics.