The latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate

In summary, the speaker, a retired electronic engineer, is considering using a saturated solution of sodium chlorate as a thermal store for maintaining hot water using solar heating. They have concerns about the quantities of heat needed and the corrosive effects of the solution on the container. They are looking for answers and resources on these issues. The provided link may offer some insight, but the topic is outside of the speaker's expertise.
alec smith
I am a retired electronic engineer and no scientist. I am considering the use of a saturated solution of sodium chlorate as a thermal store. My problems are: 1/ I have no idea of the quantities involved in terms of heat/gram of crystals. My intention is to maintain a supply of hot water for a house or boat using solar heating. 2/ I don't know of any corrosive effects of such a solution on the container. Would a stainless steel vacuum-insulated tank work?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
mjc123 said:
Try http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/v71-038
I suspect it would be rather corrosive though.
Thanks, it seems to have at least one of the answers. It is way out of my comfort zone so I will have to study it for engineering rather than academic truths. Thanks again.

1. What is the latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate?

The latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate is the amount of heat energy required to convert one unit of liquid sodium chlorate into its solid form at a constant temperature and pressure.

2. How is the latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate determined?

The latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate can be determined through experiments where the heat energy released or absorbed during the phase change from liquid to solid is measured.

3. What factors affect the latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate?

The factors that affect the latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate include temperature, pressure, and the purity of the substance. Higher temperatures and pressures typically result in a lower latent heat, while impurities can affect the strength of the bonds between molecules and therefore change the amount of energy needed for the phase change.

4. Why is the latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate important?

The latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate is important in various industrial processes such as freeze drying and refrigeration. It is also a crucial factor in understanding the physical properties of sodium chlorate and its behavior in different environments.

5. How does the latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate compare to other substances?

The latent heat of crystallisation of sodium chlorate is relatively low compared to other substances due to its ionic nature. For example, the latent heat of crystallisation of water is much higher because of the strong hydrogen bonds between its molecules.