The Law of the Excluded Middle and Free Will

In summary: Proposal Three: The future is not really a reality, but rather it is what we make of it. Objection to Proposal Three: If the future is not a reality, then what is the point of planning for it? What is the point of making any decisions at all?The author provides no counter proposal to any of the three proposals. In summary, the author is saying that it is possible to 'escape' the conclusion of the argument by arguing that propositions about the future do not have a truth value until the event described occurs. Propositions about the future might become true when the event described occurs, in which case the law of the
Anyone wanting to see this beings faults (moving_finger) in his belief of no free will, please visit Special and General Relativiy, under GR and time travel paradoxes... witness his sudden loss of memory (amnesia) in everything me and him discuss... and give him knowledge 300 years in advance which he cannot fathom... as some of us evolve into the 4th dimension, beings such as him are left behind... this is published in Stanley Watsons book in 2316. ;) believe it or not finger... all i can do is try to help lost souls such as you... so as you may be enlightened, but as our studies show, only 2% of your kind ever change. (you call them determinists?) also i predicted the next natural catastrophe that happened today, another earthquake. and another news article came out on the faulty missile defense system of the US... i can say no more, for beings such as you scare us... ever heard of the saying, give em an inch and he takes a mile? so i can say no more on predictions except those that remain. and yes his wrist should be slapped, slap it enough and he'll stop making mistakes. choice does not necessarily define free will... in cases where we have no choice... it doesn't mean we have no free will... we can still make the best of the siutation. but again... you also cannot have free will with no choice. free will is not simply explained away with words and logic, it is much deeper in which entites it resides in etc.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheUnknown said:
give him knowledge 300 years in advance which he cannot fathom... as some of us evolve into the 4th dimension, beings such as him are left behind... this is published in Stanley Watsons book in 2316. ;)
Ohhhh pleeeease! :yuck:

TheUnknown said:
believe it or not finger... all i can do is try to help lost souls such as you... so as you may be enlightened, but as our studies show, only 2% of your kind ever change. (you call them determinists?) also i predicted the next natural catastrophe that happened today, another earthquake. and another news article came out on the faulty missile defense system of the US.. .
good grief… what ARE you smoking? :yuck:

TheUnknown said:
i can say no more, for beings such as you scare us... ever heard of the saying, give em an inch and he takes a mile? so i can say no more on predictions except those that remain. and yes his wrist should be slapped, slap it enough and he'll stop making mistakes. choice does not necessarily define free will... in cases where we have no choice... it doesn't mean we have no free will... we can still make the best of the siutation. but again... you also cannot have free will with no choice. free will is not simply explained away with words and logic, it is much deeper in which entites it resides in etc.
sad. Sad. Sad. So very sad. Why is it, whenever a human cannot (does not want to?) understand simple logic, they always resort to such strange behaviour?

Can we move on now?

MF

:smile:

Question:In terms of universals, is it or is it not true, that what binds all humanity together or tears it apart is conscience!? Is there such a thing as conscience!? Is it the ultimate form of consciousness!? Is it the prime mover!? Is it the ultimate standard therefore to be considered when one makes a choice!? Are, therfore, all choices necessarily mutually exclusive!? Foregive my intrusion, but I'm a newcomer to this interesting dialog. Am I on the right track considering what has been discussed so far? Please comment> ....MEDIUM.....>

medium said:
Question:In terms of universals, is it or is it not true, that what binds all humanity together or tears it apart is conscience!?
I think there are many other things which "bind humanity together" apart from conscience, therefore I would have to say the statement is untrue.

medium said:
Is there such a thing as conscience!?
If you ever feel a conscience then I think the answer is obvious.

medium said:
Is it the ultimate form of consciousness!?
What is an "ultimate form" of anything?

medium said:
Is it the prime mover!?
Of what? The universe? I don't think so (but that's my belief)

medium said:
Is it the ultimate standard therefore to be considered when one makes a choice!?
No, again I don't think so. I believe when humans make a choice they take into account many different factors, of which conscience may be one.

medium said:
Are, therfore, all choices necessarily mutually exclusive!?
Why should this follow as a "therefore"? I see no reason why (even if conscience drives all choices) this implies mutual exclusivity of choices.

MF

:smile: