Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The lazy time in sofa to learn physics?

1. Sep 23, 2016 #1
    hello everyone,

Which documentary do you advise see for a newbie student in physics?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

None. Television science is to science as mud is to chocolate cake.

They do have BEAUTIFUL pictures and graphics but spout nonsense. Go there and you'll end up with all kinds of things you'll need to unlearn, with considerable confusion along the way.

EDIT: the original COSMOS with Sagan (not the new one with Tyson) is an exception.

4. Sep 23, 2016 #3
    I don't see television, but I think if did many documentary about physic as did tv series about crime and violence maybe this is better to the world!

Where can I see this documentary "Cosmos" with sagan?

5. Sep 23, 2016 #4
    Many of the BBC Horizon documentaries are very good and detailed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Horizon_episodes
    My personal favorites are the ones about "Fermat's Last Theorem"
    and
    "Are You Good or Evil?"
    there are many more but you can find them on a lot of media.

6. Sep 23, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Horizon must be just about the worst of the lot. The BBC4 documentaries are sometimes okay, but Horizon is massively dumbed down: they seem to have become expert at filling the hour with as little information as possible. That said, the best that a TV documentary can do is tell you about something; it can't actually teach maths or physics in an hour. There was a very good documentary on BBC4 about the history of electricity, but to try to teach electro-magnetism is beyond what a documentary can do.

The only way actually to learn something that isn't fact-based is to study it.

7. Sep 23, 2016 #6
    Where you suggest I go to learn about this themes?

8. Sep 23, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think type-ahead got you. "ISN'T" fact based ?

9. Sep 24, 2016 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends what level your maths is at. What, in particular you want to learn and how much time you have?

For most people self study is hard and, of course, you don't have access to a lab.

10. Sep 24, 2016 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think if you wanted to read a biography of a leading scientist, that's something that could be done from the comfort of your sofa. Or, if you wanted to learn about the planets of the solar system, likewise. But, if you want to learn why those planets move in ellipses, you have to get off the sofa and wrestle with the differential equations.

11. Sep 24, 2016 #10
    Lev Landau used to work reclining on a sofa - (just saying).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted