The length of a path on a sphere (in spherical coordinates)

In summary, the length of a given path on a sphere of radius R is given by:L= R\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \sqrt{1+\sin^2(\theta) \phi'^2(\theta)}d\theta
ks_wann
So, I'm to show that in spherical coordinates, the length of a given path on a sphere of radius R is given by:
L= R[itex]\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \sqrt{1+\sin^2(\theta) \phi'^2(\theta)}d\theta[/itex],
where it is assumed [itex]\phi(\theta)[/itex], and start coordinates are [itex](\theta_1,\phi_1) [/itex]and [itex](\theta_2, \phi_2)[/itex].

I've tried starting by letting ds be a short path segment, such that
[itex]ds=R \sqrt{ d\theta^2+ d\phi^2} [/itex] and [itex]d\phi=\frac{d\phi}{d\theta}d\theta=\phi'(\theta) d\theta[/itex]

But this is obviously wrong, since I'll be missing a factor of sin^2(θ). If I draw the situation, it's also clear that I'll need the factor.

Is it just a sphercial coordinate concept I'm missing, or am I way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
If a curve is given by x(t), y(t), z(t), where t is a parameter, how is its length computed?

I'd use

[itex]s=\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2+(\frac{dz}{dt})^2}[/itex]

So I tried inserting x, y and z as spherical coordinates, and having θ as the parameter, in the end I end up with [itex]\sqrt{R^2}[/itex]. That's after I take the derivative with respect to θ.

I'm not sure I got your hint.

ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2
To translate this into spherical coordinates in the form:
ds^2 = a*dr^2 + b*dθ^2 + c*dϕ^2,
you need the Jacobian matrix for the transformation, which will give you a, b and c. The result is rather well known, but if you're not familiar with the technique, i would recommend you look it up. Your problem is straightforward from there.

ks_wann said:
I'd use

[itex]s=\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2+(\frac{dz}{dt})^2}[/itex]

So I tried inserting x, y and z as spherical coordinates, and having θ as the parameter, in the end I end up with [itex]\sqrt{R^2}[/itex]. That's after I take the derivative with respect to θ.

I'm not sure I got your hint.

Your approach is correct in principle, so there must be an error in details. Unless you show all the steps, I can't help.

It's a matter of geometry. As you approach the poles, the lines of constant longitude get closer together, and as you approach the equator, they get further apart. You need to draw a diagram to see why geometrically there is a factor of sin2θ.

Goddar said:
ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2
To translate this into spherical coordinates in the form:
ds^2 = a*dr^2 + b*dθ^2 + c*dϕ^2,
you need the Jacobian matrix for the transformation, which will give you a, b and c. The result is rather well known, but if you're not familiar with the technique, i would recommend you look it up. Your problem is straightforward from there.

I've looked it up, but it puzzles me how I go from [itex]ds^2=dx^2+dy^2+dz^2[/itex] when dx, dy and dz are added together. I mean, if it was [itex]ds^2=dx^2 dy^2 dz^2[/itex] it would be straight forward for me.

abs[∂(x,y,z)/∂(r,θ,phi)] * dr dθ dphi

Can I simply transform each on its own? dx, dy and dz?

voko said:
Your approach is correct in principle, so there must be an error in details. Unless you show all the steps, I can't help.

With [itex]\theta[/itex] as the parameter, I insert [itex]x=r\sin\theta\cos\phi[/itex], [itex]y=r\sin\theta\sin\phi[/itex] and [itex]z=r\cos\theta[/itex].

This would give me
[itex]\sqrt{(\frac{d}{d\theta}r\sin\theta\cos\phi)^2+(\frac{d}{d\theta}r\sin\theta\sin\phi)^2+(\frac{d}{d\theta}r\cos\theta)^2}[/itex]

From there I end up with

[itex]\sqrt{r^2(\cos^2\theta\cos^2\phi+cos^2\theta\sin^2\phi+\sin^2\theta)}[/itex]

Using identities it reduces to [itex]\sqrt{r^2}[/itex]..

Do you understand that, for example, $$ \frac {d} {d\theta} \sin \theta \cos \phi = \cos \theta \cos \phi - \sin^2 \theta \phi'(\theta) $$

voko said:
Do you understand that, for example, $$ \frac {d} {d\theta} \sin \theta \cos \phi = \cos \theta \cos \phi - \sin^2 \theta \phi'(\theta) $$

No, I can't figure out the last term on the right.

Voko, is your 2nd term correct? In my opinion it ought to be " -sin(theta)*sin(phi)*(dphi/dtheta)"

Darn, brain still half asleep :)

Indeed that should have been $$ \cos \theta \cos \phi - \sin \theta \sin \phi \phi'(\theta) $$

Likes 1 person
I see what you did there. So I should treat [itex]\phi(\theta)[/itex] properly in my derivatives.

Well, yes that was fairly easy. Thanks alot. :)

Here's a simpler way. Draw a circle. Draw the z-axis vertically through the center of the circle. Pick a point P on the upper half of the circumference. Draw a radius from the center of the circle to the point on the circumference. Label the angle θ between the radius and the z axis. Draw a horizontal line from the point P to the z axis. The length of this line is R sin θ. So you see how this length is related to longitudinal distance around the z axis?

1. What is a "path" on a sphere?

A path on a sphere refers to a line connecting two points on the surface of a sphere. It can be thought of as the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface.

2. How is the length of a path on a sphere calculated?

The length of a path on a sphere is calculated using spherical coordinates, which take into account the radius of the sphere and the angles between the points along the path. It is a more accurate measurement than using traditional Cartesian coordinates on a flat surface.

3. Can the length of a path on a sphere be longer than the circumference of the sphere?

No, the length of a path on a sphere cannot be longer than the circumference of the sphere. This is because the circumference is the longest possible path on the surface of a sphere, and all other paths will be shorter than this.

4. Does the length of a path on a sphere change depending on the starting and ending points?

Yes, the length of a path on a sphere can vary depending on the starting and ending points. This is because the path may take a different route on the curved surface depending on the angles between the points.

5. How does the length of a path on a sphere relate to the concept of distance?

The length of a path on a sphere is a measure of distance between two points on the surface of a sphere. It is a way to quantify the separation between two points on a curved surface, taking into account the shortest possible route between those points.