1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The length of a path on a sphere (in spherical coordinates)

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    So, I'm to show that in spherical coordinates, the length of a given path on a sphere of radius R is given by:
    L= R[itex]\int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \sqrt{1+\sin^2(\theta) \phi'^2(\theta)}d\theta[/itex],
    where it is assumed [itex]\phi(\theta)[/itex], and start coordinates are [itex](\theta_1,\phi_1) [/itex]and [itex](\theta_2, \phi_2)[/itex].

I've tried starting by letting ds be a short path segment, such that
    [itex]ds=R \sqrt{ d\theta^2+ d\phi^2} [/itex] and [itex]d\phi=\frac{d\phi}{d\theta}d\theta=\phi'(\theta) d\theta[/itex]

But this is obviously wrong, since I'll be missing a factor of sin^2(θ). If I draw the situation, it's also clear that I'll need the factor.

Is it just a sphercial coordinate concept I'm missing, or am I way off?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2
    If a curve is given by x(t), y(t), z(t), where t is a parameter, how is its length computed?

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
    I'd use

[itex]s=\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+(\frac{dy}{dt})^2+(\frac{dz}{dt})^2}[/itex]

So I tried inserting x, y and z as spherical coordinates, and having θ as the parameter, in the end I end up with [itex]\sqrt{R^2}[/itex]. That's after I take the derivative with respect to θ.

I'm not sure I got your hint.

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4
    ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2
    To translate this into spherical coordinates in the form:
    ds^2 = a*dr^2 + b*dθ^2 + c*dϕ^2,
    you need the Jacobian matrix for the transformation, which will give you a, b and c. The result is rather well known, but if you're not familiar with the technique, i would recommend you look it up. Your problem is straightforward from there.

6. Jun 19, 2013 #5
    Your approach is correct in principle, so there must be an error in details. Unless you show all the steps, I can't help.

7. Jun 19, 2013 #6
    It's a matter of geometry. As you approach the poles, the lines of constant longitude get closer together, and as you approach the equator, they get further apart. You need to draw a diagram to see why geometrically there is a factor of sin2θ.

8. Jun 20, 2013 #7
    I've looked it up, but it puzzles me how I go from [itex]ds^2=dx^2+dy^2+dz^2[/itex] when dx, dy and dz are added together. I mean, if it was [itex]ds^2=dx^2 dy^2 dz^2[/itex] it would be straight forward for me.

abs[∂(x,y,z)/∂(r,θ,phi)] * dr dθ dphi

Can I simply transform each on its own? dx, dy and dz?

9. Jun 20, 2013 #8
    With [itex]\theta[/itex] as the parameter, I insert [itex]x=r\sin\theta\cos\phi[/itex], [itex]y=r\sin\theta\sin\phi[/itex] and [itex]z=r\cos\theta[/itex].

This would give me
    [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{d}{d\theta}r\sin\theta\cos\phi)^2+(\frac{d}{d\theta}r\sin\theta\sin\phi)^2+(\frac{d}{d\theta}r\cos\theta)^2}[/itex]

From there I end up with

[itex]\sqrt{r^2(\cos^2\theta\cos^2\phi+cos^2\theta\sin^2\phi+\sin^2\theta)}[/itex]

Using identities it reduces to [itex]\sqrt{r^2}[/itex]..

10. Jun 20, 2013 #9
    Do you understand that, for example, $$ \frac {d} {d\theta} \sin \theta \cos \phi = \cos \theta \cos \phi - \sin^2 \theta \phi'(\theta) $$

11. Jun 20, 2013 #10
    No, I can't figure out the last term on the right.

12. Jun 20, 2013 #11
    Voko, is your 2nd term correct? In my opinion it ought to be " -sin(theta)*sin(phi)*(dphi/dtheta)"

13. Jun 20, 2013 #12
    Darn, brain still half asleep :)

Indeed that should have been $$ \cos \theta \cos \phi - \sin \theta \sin \phi \phi'(\theta) $$

14. Jun 20, 2013 #13
    I see what you did there. So I should treat [itex]\phi(\theta)[/itex] properly in my derivatives.

15. Jun 20, 2013 #14
    Well, yes that was fairly easy. Thanks alot. :)

16. Jun 20, 2013 #15
    Here's a simpler way. Draw a circle. Draw the z-axis vertically through the center of the circle. Pick a point P on the upper half of the circumference. Draw a radius from the center of the circle to the point on the circumference. Label the angle θ between the radius and the z axis. Draw a horizontal line from the point P to the z axis. The length of this line is R sin θ. So you see how this length is related to longitudinal distance around the z axis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted