What Can We Expect from The Mandalorian: Season 2?

• Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
In summary, the second season of The Mandalorian is highly anticipated with the release date of October 30th. There is speculation about appearances from Ahsoka Tano and Boba Fett, as well as the potential for the return of some Star Wars characters such as Sabine Wren and Palpatine. The Darksaber is also a key plot point, with Moff Gideon possibly using it to create an army of force-sensitive clones. Additionally, there is the possibility of a younger Luke Skywalker and the Jedi Temple making an appearance. The first season set a small-scale episodic format, but it is hoped that the second season will have a more overarching structure.
etotheipi
This is the way!

The season drops pretty soon, on 30th October. No sign of the rumoured Ahsoka Tano or Boba Fett appearances, but I suspect they'll keep that under wraps! I wonder if the hooded lady is Sabine Wren from rebels?

[Random Fact: the only boats to feature in any previous Star Wars films were on Naboo in AotC, and the sea skiff on Kef Bir in TROS (not counting the submarine in TPM)].

So, what do you guys think?

Likes member 587159, Hamiltonian and DennisN
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fun and cool!
Even though I am a big Star Wars fan and liked the episodes I've seen of the Mandalorian, I haven't yet seen the entire first season. But I will. :smile:

Likes etotheipi
The final episodes of the first season are very good, especially the last one (directed by Taika Waititi). I think episodes 3 and 7 were directed by Deborah Chow, who's also going to be doing all of the Obi-Wan Kenobi series - so that show is in good hands too!

But whilst Season 1 was quite small-scale and stuck to quite an episodic format, I hope that there's a more overarching structure to Season 2.

Likes DennisN
Woo, more Gus Fring in space!

Likes member 587159
etotheipi said:
The season drops pretty soon, on 30th October. No sign of the rumoured Ahsoka Tano or Boba Fett appearances, but I suspect they'll keep that under wraps! I wonder if the hooded lady is Sabine Wren from rebels?
I know this is long shot but(scene from the trailer)
mando.png

that's apparently boba's armor on that speeder bike.

• Love
Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
But whilst Season 1 was quite small-scale and stuck to quite an episodic format, I hope that there's a more overarching structure to Season 2.
any thoughts on what story arc they might continue in season 2?

season 1 ended with no cliff hangers as such(except the darksaber and that Moff Gideon is alive) so maybe the whole Moff thing would just be a side hustle and they might pick up on something new like the mando looking for baby Yoda's home planet. since there shouldn't be any more bounty hunters coming after them(unless of course their imperial).

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
Yeah, there'll definitely be something about finding baby Yoda's planet. But apart from that, the trailers really don't give much away in terms of plot!

We know that Temuera Morrison is returning to play Boba Fett (who's somehow crawled out of the Sarlacc!), which will be awesome. It would be pretty cool if they had to go up against some other bounty hunters like Cad Bane (who isn't dead, because that deleted clone wars episode was never aired!) or Bossk, Dengar, whoever. I also have absolutely no idea how Ahsoka fits into the story, but the ice planet in the trailer looks a bit like Ilum (the planet where the Jedi used to get their Kyber crystals), so maybe Mando finds her there after crashing his ship.

The Darksaber is an interesting thread, since the last time we saw it, it was in the hands of Sabine Wren (who's also rumoured to be making an appearance!). Surely Moff Gideon managed to acquire it during the Great Purge. What do you think Moff Gideon's endgame is? I'm guessing he wanted baby Yoda so that his team of doctors could "inject him with force sensitivity"...?

Likes Hamiltonian
etotheipi said:
The Darksaber is an interesting thread, since the last time we saw it, it was in the hands of Sabine Wren (who's also rumoured to be making an appearance!). Surely Moff Gideon managed to acquire it during the Great Purge. What do you think Moff Gideon's endgame is? I'm guessing he wanted baby Yoda so that his team of doctors could "inject him with force sensitivity"...?
or maybe he wants an army of force-sensitive clones.

mando.jpg

also, this was another cliffhanger I just remembered of. They haven't yet revealed who that is from the end of ep5. There is speculation that it's Boba but it could've just been Moff Gideon.
I think seeing Boba in s2 might just be the most defining moment of the season for me.

etotheipi said:
I also have absolutely no idea how Ahsoka fits into the story, but the ice planet in the trailer looks a bit like Ilum (the planet where the Jedi used to get their Kyber crystals), so maybe Mando finds her there after crashing his ship.
maybe she won't have a major role and might just end up being an Easter egg.

Likes etotheipi
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
or maybe he wants an army of force-sensitive clones.

Ahaha, imagine, 200,000 baby Yodas with a million more well on the way!

also, this was another cliffhanger I just remembered of. They haven't yet revealed who that is from the end of ep5. There is speculation that it's Boba but it could've just been Moff Gideon.
I think seeing Boba in s2 might just be the most defining moment of the season for me.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! I remember one Star Wars youtuber commented that the 'jangling' noise was exactly the same as Boba's in ESB, which could be a pretty major hint. Plus, Boba is presumably still based on Tatooine, whilst there's no real reason for Gideon to be there.

maybe she won't have a major role and might just end up being an Easter egg.

Yeah, that's probably right. Dave Filoni wrote Chapter 13, and given that he knows Ahsoka best I'm guessing that's when she'll show up - in the 5th episode. I guess she'll lead Mando to the Yoda planet.

Also, Bo-Katan Kryze will show up at some point, probably with Sabine Wren, and I'm guessing that they'll eventually end up with the Darksaber?

I also heard some rumours that Palpatine will be involved somehow, but to me that seems like a bit of a long-shot. At least give it a few more seasons before increasing the scale so much! But perhaps he has ties to Moff Gideon, and we'll get a look at the origins of the First Order. Potentially also a chance for a younger Luke Skywalker to make an appearance, along with the Jedi Temple...

• Love
Likes Hamiltonian
I guess we now know who that was!(season2:chapter9 ep1)
also do you thing boba survived?(considering only his armour was found)

Likes etotheipi
I guess we now know who that was!(season2:chapter9 ep1)
also do you thing boba survived?(considering only his armour was found)

I thought that episode was really great, especially the second half. But the main talking point is of course...
How did he escape the Sarlacc?!

1604162499482.png

1604162547549.png

Likes Hamiltonian
etotheipi said:
I thought that episode was really great, especially the second half. But the main talking point is of course...
How did he escape the Sarlacc?!

View attachment 271935

View attachment 271936

the dragon killed a sarlaac and took its den. It takes a thousand years I think they said for a sarlaac to digest you. The Jawas with the armor were near the dragon lair (since they were near the town). I think the conclusion is that was the sarlaac that ate Boba, and he found a way to survive inside the stomach until he was freed by its death.

Likes etotheipi
@Office_Shredder
how do you know its the same Sarlacc?
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/271969
this is the one that swallowed Boba. The one they show in the episode is on the side of a hill of sorts.

Last edited:
their cave could have more than one entrance, or perhaps it just moved at some point

Carl Weathers directed chapter 12! Cool, right?

Thought it was pretty funny that they put a giant ant in the Mos Eisley cantina in honour of Peyton Reed. 😜 Last episode was quite fun, esp. the X-wing sequence 🥰

Likes Hamiltonian
etotheipi said:
Carl Weathers directed chapter 12! Cool, right?

Thought it was pretty funny that they put a giant ant in the Mos Eisley cantina in honour of Peyton Reed. 😜 Last episode was quite fun, esp. the X-wing sequence 🥰
Lot of folks felt that the episode was a filler but I enjoyed it thoroughly!

This show just keeps getting better, the last 3 episodes have added so much to talk about!
So Ahsoka has finally shown up (completely awesome!), and reveals that Grogu (formally, Baby Yoda...) trained at the Jedi Temple during the Clone Wars, but somehow managed to avoid the purge and lay low...

She tells Din to take him to Tython, in the hope that another Jedi will arrive to train Grogu. Who could this be? Maybe a young Luke Skywalker... or Ezra Bridger, perhaps?

Grand Admiral Thrawn's name was also dropped, last time we saw him was with Ezra in Rebels. I don't know how he fits into the story yet!

It's going to be so interesting to see how Boba, Ahsoka, Bo Katan, Thrawn, and perhaps even some others we don't know about yet (Palpatine...?) fit into the story. The largest narrative thread we have so far was explained in Chapter 12, that Gideon (along with his squad of Dark troopers!) was after 'midichlorian donor', and the last we saw of him was when he'd successfully placed a tracking beacon on Din's ship presumably in order to reclaim Grogu.

I wonder if we'll get Gideon v Ahsoka, or Boba vs Din...?

Likes Hamiltonian
I was wondering why no one posted anything here:-p
so much has happened and the show has really taken off!

Likes etotheipi
😃

1606519267253.png

1606519286823.png

• Love
Likes Hamiltonian
It's just... The way she moves is a kind of a... budget version :sorry:

• Skeptical
Likes Hamiltonian
I guess she's a little slower than in clone wars, but it still looks great to me:

The camera they use in clone wars adds 20mph to all movement, so that's not surprising.

Likes etotheipi and Hamiltonian
This isn't real, but Lucius Malfoy as Thrawn would be sweet 😜

1606650031342.png

Likes Hamiltonian
"The tragedy" (of Darth Plagueis the Wise...) was probably one of my favourite episodes so far. You know it's going to be great when Slave I appears in the first 5 minutes! Also, the "I'm just a simple man making my way through the galaxy" reference 🤭

The way Fett just chewed up those stormtroopers until they're literally scrambling to get away was just amazing, I think that's the first time in live action that we've seen evidence of why he was so highly regarded by the Empire and feared by pretty much everyone else. Devastated about Grogu, but it was pretty funny to see him playing around with those guards at the end.

What 'path' do you think Grogu chose whilst he was on the seeing stone? Do you think a Jedi sensed him, and will show up in one of the final two episodes? Candidates...:
  • Luke
  • Ezra
  • Cal Kestis + Cere Junda (from the game Jedi Fallen Order)
  • Mace Windu... (assuming he somehow survived his fall out of the windu)
Any guesses? Mine is a young luke played by Sebastian Stan, but who knows 😜

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I forgot about Bill Burr too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes member 587159
etotheipi said:
"The tragedy" (of Darth Plagueis the Wise...) was probably one of my favourite episodes so far. You know it's going to be great when Slave I appears in the first 5 minutes! Also, the "I'm just a simple man making my way through the galaxy" reference 🤭

The way Fett just chewed up those stormtroopers until they're literally scrambling to get away was just amazing, I think that's the first time in live action that we've seen evidence of why he was so highly regarded by the Empire and feared by pretty much everyone else. Devastated about Grogu, but it was pretty funny to see him playing around with those guards at the end.

What 'path' do you think Grogu chose whilst he was on the seeing stone? Do you think a Jedi sensed him, and will show up in one of the final two episodes? Candidates...:
  • Luke
  • Ezra
  • Cal Kestis + Cere Junda (from the game Jedi Fallen Order)
  • Mace Windu... (assuming he somehow survived his fall out of the windu)
Any guesses? Mine is a young luke played by Sebastian Stan, but who knows 😜

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I forgot about Bill Burr too!

I think it would be simply AMAZING to see Windu show up(maybe he was the Jedi who saved Grogu in the first place)!
I think it's pretty unlikely that Ezra will show up as he has bigger things going on and he doesn't have many motives either. There might be a good chance Luke shows up but who knows it's always hard to predict what's going to happen in a show like the Mandalorian.

Likes etotheipi
Don't forget to watch the after-credits scene in the final episode!

Likes Hamiltonian and member 587159
I'm torn on this series. It gets so good reviews but really unless you're die hard fan, I don't see the hype. It's a solid production and generally fun, but the plot moved like mud with 90% of the series about side quests. The acting was so-so with the drop solider being quite terrible. Gro-gu was the only real highlight I thought.

I am a believer in the theory that The Mandalorian is based on an un-released video game developed by LucasArts before Disney bough them out.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm torn on this series. It gets so good reviews but really unless you're die hard fan, I don't see the hype. It's a solid production and generally fun, but the plot moved like mud with 90% of the series about side quests. The acting was so-so with the drop solider being quite terrible. Gro-gu was the only real highlight I thought.
I agree w/ all of that. I told my son not to waste his time w/ it ... there are better things to watch.

Hm well sure, the plot is not the most complex out there. But I still really enjoyed the whole thing because it reminded me of shows like the Clone Wars series (surprise, it's produced by the same person :smile:), where they'd go and do lots of little side missions in the form of 3-episode arcs. Favreau and Filoni supposedly wanted it to be a Samurai-Western, and the narrative structure does fit that (as opposed to a single linear plot that a lot of TV shows have nowadays).

Anyway, here are some memes (SPOILERS! of course)

1608454138621.png

1608454227770.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes member 587159 and Hamiltonian
Likes member 587159 and etotheipi
I guess he managed to somehow survive the purge at the Jedi Temple during Order 66, so maybe he'll do it again when the Knights of Ren come knocking 😁

Likes Hamiltonian
also now is s3 just going to be on Boba(hope you saw the post-credit scene) with Din as a side character?

Likes etotheipi
also now is s3 just going to be on Boba(hope you saw the post-credit scene) with Din as a side character?

Yeah I was wondering about that too, whether they're going to do something like making seasons 1&2 the 'story of Din Djarin', seasons 3&4 the 'story of Boba Fett', and so on

But they have so many shows in development at the moment (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka, Rangers of the New Republic, Andor, The Acolyte, Lando, A Droid Story, Visions) that I think the Book of Boba Fett and Mandalorian S3 will be two separate series, coming out right next to one another.

I hope so, because I do want S3 to go to Mandalore so that the whole leadership clash can play out, and also I'd quite like to find out what exactly Moff Gideon was trying to achieve. And "Boba the Hutt" can just do his thing in his own show.

But, I don't know!

Likes Hamiltonian
I kept thinking this was about a stainless steel mandolin.

• Haha
Likes Hamiltonian and etotheipi
<h2>1. What can we expect in terms of plot for Season 2 of The Mandalorian?</h2><p>Season 2 of The Mandalorian is expected to continue the story of the titular character, a bounty hunter who is now on the run with the Child (aka Baby Yoda). It is rumored that the season will explore the origins of the Child and his connection to the Force, as well as the Mandalorian's past and his quest to find a home for the Child.</p><h2>2. Will there be any new characters introduced in Season 2?</h2><p>Yes, there will be new characters introduced in Season 2 of The Mandalorian. It has been confirmed that Rosario Dawson will be joining the cast as Ahsoka Tano, a fan-favorite character from the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. There have also been rumors of other characters from the Star Wars universe making appearances in the season.</p><h2>3. Is there a release date for Season 2 of The Mandalorian?</h2><p>The release date for Season 2 of The Mandalorian has been confirmed for October 30, 2020. This is slightly earlier than the release date for the first season, which premiered in November 2019.</p><h2>4. Will Season 2 of The Mandalorian have the same tone as the first season?</h2><p>It is expected that Season 2 of The Mandalorian will have a similar tone to the first season, which was a mix of action, adventure, and humor. However, it has been hinted that the season may have a darker tone as the Mandalorian and the Child face new challenges and threats.</p><h2>5. Are there any plans for future seasons of The Mandalorian?</h2><p>Yes, there are plans for future seasons of The Mandalorian. Show creator Jon Favreau has stated that he has already started writing Season 3 and that the series will continue for as long as there are stories to tell. There have also been talks of potential spin-off series featuring characters from The Mandalorian.</p>

1. What can we expect in terms of plot for Season 2 of The Mandalorian?

Season 2 of The Mandalorian is expected to continue the story of the titular character, a bounty hunter who is now on the run with the Child (aka Baby Yoda). It is rumored that the season will explore the origins of the Child and his connection to the Force, as well as the Mandalorian's past and his quest to find a home for the Child.

2. Will there be any new characters introduced in Season 2?

Yes, there will be new characters introduced in Season 2 of The Mandalorian. It has been confirmed that Rosario Dawson will be joining the cast as Ahsoka Tano, a fan-favorite character from the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars. There have also been rumors of other characters from the Star Wars universe making appearances in the season.

3. Is there a release date for Season 2 of The Mandalorian?

The release date for Season 2 of The Mandalorian has been confirmed for October 30, 2020. This is slightly earlier than the release date for the first season, which premiered in November 2019.

4. Will Season 2 of The Mandalorian have the same tone as the first season?

It is expected that Season 2 of The Mandalorian will have a similar tone to the first season, which was a mix of action, adventure, and humor. However, it has been hinted that the season may have a darker tone as the Mandalorian and the Child face new challenges and threats.

5. Are there any plans for future seasons of The Mandalorian?

Yes, there are plans for future seasons of The Mandalorian. Show creator Jon Favreau has stated that he has already started writing Season 3 and that the series will continue for as long as there are stories to tell. There have also been talks of potential spin-off series featuring characters from The Mandalorian.

Back