1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The meaning of the relative strength of forces

1. Feb 26, 2009 #1
    It's common to hear people say that gravity is a "weak force" and that it is "32 times weaker than the weak nuclear force." But what does that even mean, if it has any meaning at all. The gravity on a particle is proportional to its mass. The electric force on an object is proportional to its charge. To make a statement about relative strengths, that would mean you're making an implicit statement about the relationship between an object's charge and mass, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Here's a simple illustration using simplifed forms of the gravitational and electric forces:

[tex]F_{g}=G\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]F_{e}=k\frac{q_{1}q_{2}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

If we compare the constants of proportionality, k and G, we find that k=10^20 G. It's basically saying that per whatever unit the force uses to measure its strength, one force is much stronger than another.

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    Yeah, but that's comparing apples (mass) to oranges (charge). The units are different, so you can't simply divide and find the ratio of the strengths... you're left with a conversion factor of kg/C or something.

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

You are of course right. That example was pretty terrible and I was making light of what is a much more complicated situation. I don't fully understand this myself but after looking around I think it has something to do with the relative coupling constants for the four fundamental forces.

See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coupling_constant

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook