The Millennium Prize Problems: Part I - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter kreil
  • Start date
In summary, the Millennium Prize Problems are a set of seven unsolved mathematics problems, each with a prize of one million dollars for its solution. These problems cover a wide range of topics, from geometry and topology to number theory and computer science. One of the problems, the P=NP problem, has sparked a lot of interest and efforts to solve it, but so far remains open. Another problem, the Yang-Mills Theory Existence and Mass Gap problem, has been attempted by others but their results did not meet the standards required. Additionally, the article mentions a section on Wikipedia that discusses the problem in a misleading way. The article also mentions that solving the P=NP problem would have enormous ramifications, but this would only be true if
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
kreil submitted a new PF Insights post

The Millennium Prize Problems: Part I

MillenniumPrize-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Last edited:
Likes Ygggdrasil and ShayanJ
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
PF can we solve these problems!? :)

I had tried my hands on problem 2, ##P=NP?##.

After hard work, I was able to reduce the problem to the question of whether ##P=0## or ##N=1##.

My most successful attempt to prove ##P=0## (which would have settled the conjecture in the affirmative) was by noting that for any ##X##, we have ##P(X-X)=PX-PX=0##. Thus after division by ##X-X##, we find that ##P=0##. Unfortunately, this argument proved to have a gap, since for the argument to work, the divisor must be nonzero. Thus I would have to find an ##X## such that ##X-X## is nonzero. Unfortunately again, I could prove that this is never the case. Thus I couldn't close the gap in my argument.

I am sorry that I have to conclude that the problem is still open. )-:

Last edited:
Likes suremarc, Samy_A, ShayanJ and 1 other person
A. Neumaier said:
I had tried my hands on problem 2, P=NP?.
Someone else had tried Problem 5, Yang-Mills Theory Existence and the Mass Gap. I spent a lot of time reviewing his papers (see also here). Unfortunately, the (in contrast to my previous post serious) result of my investigations was that the papers didn't satisfy the standards required by the official problem description.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
You refer to a section on a Wikipedia page that talks about
''how to solve in a way that is faster than testing every possible answer''
and paraphrase this in your own story.

This is a very misleading way to popularize the problem. There are many NP-complete problems where there are plenty of techniques that solve the problem much faster than by testing every possible answer.

An example where I know all the details is the linear integer feasibility problem, asking for deciding whether a system of linear inequalities with integral coefficients has an integral solution. Branch and bound (and enhancements) is the prototypical method for solving these problems, and fairly large problems can in many cases of practical interest be solved quickly. It is also known that the problem can always be solved in finite time. But testing each possible answer takes an infinite amount of time.

Nevertheless, this has no effect on the validity of P=NP or its negation, which are effectively statements about the asymptotic worst time cost of a family of problems whose size grows beyond every bound.

@A. Neumaier, Thank you for the feedback, I will update that last paragraph on the P = NP problem to more accurately reflect the implications.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Nice article! Now, who wants to help me solve pointy-whatsits conjecture?!

It is FAR from true that only one of Hilberts problems remain unsolved...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
micromass said:
It is FAR from true that only one of Hilberts problems remain unsolved...
Thank you @micromass, I updated the article accordingly.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
So that is 6 million if I solve them all, which is probably what it will wind up costing for me to build a "real-ly" quantum computer which could solve them all and many 21st century and beyond problems. Can anyone spare 6 mil for a few years? I'm sure the computer has the potential to be worth billions, as if "cost" and "worth" would still have any relation for very long.

The world wouldn't change dramatically if these were all "solved" in of itself, would it?
(Besides the countless hours numerous people won't spend trying to solve it!)

Last edited:
Good article, can't wait to read about the physics-related problems in part 2.

''The ramifications of a solution to whether P=NP would be enormous.'' - only if solved in the affirmative. Proving ##P\ne NP## would have no practical implications at all. But it would revolutionize the proving techniques for lower bounds in complexity theory. Therefore I believe the problem will never be solved.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Nice presentation!

1. What are the Millennium Prize Problems?

The Millennium Prize Problems are seven unsolved mathematical problems that were identified by the Clay Mathematics Institute in 2000. These problems were chosen for their significance, difficulty, and impact on mathematics and the world.

2. Who created the Millennium Prize Problems?

The Millennium Prize Problems were created by the Clay Mathematics Institute, a non-profit organization based in the United States. The institute was founded in 1998 by businessman Landon T. Clay with the aim of increasing interest and research in mathematics.

3. How much is the prize for solving a Millennium Prize Problem?

Each Millennium Prize Problem has a prize of one million dollars. However, the prize can only be awarded to the first person who solves the problem and provides a complete, peer-reviewed proof.

4. Have any of the Millennium Prize Problems been solved?

As of 2021, only one of the seven Millennium Prize Problems has been solved - the Poincaré Conjecture. It was solved by Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman in 2002 and 2003, but he declined the prize money and the Clay Mathematics Institute did not award the prize to anyone else.

5. Why are the Millennium Prize Problems significant?

The Millennium Prize Problems are significant because they represent some of the most challenging and important mathematical problems of our time. Solving these problems could have a significant impact on various fields, such as computer science, physics, and cryptography. Additionally, the prize money serves as an incentive for mathematicians to work on these problems and make breakthroughs in mathematics.