Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most dangerous roads in the world.

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The scariest road I've ever been on was from Nice, France to Montecarlo, Monaco. The road is mountain on one side and sheer cliff down to the sea on the other. We were driving so close to the edge that looking out of the car window, all I could see was the water way below. :surprised

4. Jan 25, 2008 #3

berkeman

That's where the acrophobia recovery clinics are held....

5. Jan 25, 2008 #4

Evo

Of course we were also going 100MPH in my aunt's new Aston Martin. :surprised

As soon as we stopped, I threw up in the back seat. :redface:

6. Jan 25, 2008 #5
    Compared to Colombia that road is nothing. At least no one is shooting at you....

7. Jan 26, 2008 #6

Art

Sounds like some of the roads in the Canary Islands which meander up volcanoes. It doesn't help that in places parts of the edge of the road have broken off nor does it engender a sense of well-being when you can see the burnt out shells of cars hundreds of feet below which didn't handle the hairpin bends very successfully.

8. Jan 26, 2008 #7
    Route 1 in the Saugus/Malden/Melrose Mass area. It's like trying to join the Indy 500 from a dead stop :)

9. Jan 26, 2008 #8
    Good, no one said "Autobahn", which would be wrong. The Autobahn has some of the most advanced tech to keep it safe.
    Scariest road I've been on was going up into the Rockies in Colorado. I think we were going up to like Telluride (I was about 4 or 5) and its a sheer dropoff hundreds of feet down on one side of the road, and if I remember right, we passed a spot where part of the road had fallen in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?