Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Most Dangerous Chemical?

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    what is the Most Dangerous Chemical or poison in the world?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2
    I would say Sodium Cyanide (NaCN).

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Plenty of things that are much more poisonous than cyanides.

But in general, this is a very poorly defined question. Litvinienko was killed using about 10 μg of polonium. Polonium is not a compound, it is an element. Botulinum toxin is lethal in concentrations 1000 times smaller. It is a protein, so it can be qualified as a compound, but its exact composition can depend on the bacterial strain used to produce it. Neither plutonium nor botulinum toxin is dangerous if correctly handled.

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4
    Dioxygen difluoride might be a good candidate in terms of violent reactivity with virtually anything. And that's at less than -150oC

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  6. Apr 14, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dihydrogen oxide is particularly deadly. It's all around us. We breathe it in with every breath, but if we breathe in too much, we die. We need to consume a certain amount of dihydrogen oxide each day to maintain health, but if we go for more than a few days without consuming any, we die. Yet, this chemical is not regulated by any agency in the world.

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6
    If you want to see a lot of dead people, one should go ahead and regulate it. Not sure why you promote the opposite.

8. Apr 14, 2015 #7

Borek

9. Apr 14, 2015 #8
    tert-Butyllithium

10. Apr 15, 2015 #9

OCR

This one is very, very nasty ...

It also claimed the life of Karen Wetterhahn...
    Borek is right...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulinum_toxin

Dihydrogen oxide can be very dangerous... with improper usage.

The same holds true for "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO)...

11. Apr 15, 2015 #10
  12. Apr 16, 2015 #11
    DNA??
    Is DNA Poison??

13. Apr 16, 2015 #12

Borek

You have not limited "dangerous" to "poisonous" in your opening post, now you are shifting the post goals.

I told you it is a very poorly defined question, this answer shows why. It is not that difficult to prove why DNA is so dangerous - after all, it is a necessary compound without which we would not evolve, and we ARE dangerous, aren't we?

14. Apr 16, 2015 #13
    can you prove that DNA is a poison??

i am listening.

15. Apr 16, 2015 #14
    My reply 'DNA' was somewhat 'tongue in cheek'.
    But in the sense that it is a chemical which can lead to drastic transformation of it's environment and requisition other chemistry to achieve that end, it certainly poses a threat to environmental stability.
    The emergence of cyanobacteria, the first photosynthesisers, led to dramatic changes in the composition of Earth's atmosphere, which previous had little or no free oxygen, and that led to the near-extinction of oxygen intolerant life forms which had been doing quite well until then.

16. Apr 16, 2015 #15

eXa

Estrogen...

17. Apr 20, 2015 #16
  18. Apr 20, 2015 #17
    finally i found it!!

19. Apr 20, 2015 #18

Borek

What have you found? Three people each speaking of a completely different chemical they have DEALT with, not the one they KNOW about. So, which one it is, and why do you assume those mentioned earlier in the thread are not more dangerous?

20. Apr 20, 2015 #19
    i found the video about (what is the most dangerous chemical).

21. Apr 20, 2015 #20
    A lot of people die from H2O :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook