Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Most Dangerous Action to American Democracy

1. Lying to a grand jury about consentual sexual relations

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Warrentless wiretaps on American citizens

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. Both are bad, but neither should be impeachable

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Neither are bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both are impeachable

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  6. Unsure

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Jan 23, 2006 #1
    OK, I am reposting the poll with 3 new options.

Thanks for the constructive Criticism.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might try adding something serious. Say, the Kennedy-McNamara evasion of statutory requirements that Congress be kept informed of military activities that are underway or contemplated.

4. Jan 23, 2006 #3

SOS2008

Gold Member

I think the comparison between only Clinton and Bush is very relevant. After Watergate our country has been wary. But since Clinton’s acquittal, there has been a great deal of debate on what should be considered an impeachable offense, use of independent council, etc., for example:

The Quest for a Transcendent Foundation of "The Law" in the Discourse of Impeachment
    Jochen Schulte-Sasse
    Cultural Critique, No. 43, The Politics of Impeachment (Autumn, 1999)

The Clinton 2000 Effect in Perspective: The Impact of Retiring Presidents on Their Parties' Chances of Retaining the White House
    Journal article by Martin P. Wattenberg; Presidential Studies Quarterly, Vol. 33, 2003

As I said before, Bush should be thankful to Clinton. Because if Watergate was still the taste in our mouths rather than the Clinton fishing expeditions, there would be far less tolerance toward Bush now.

5. Jan 23, 2006 #4
    BINGO. That hits the nail on the head.

6. Jan 23, 2006 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or Roosevelt and packing the USSC. Keep a few real scares in the poll just to keep things in perspective.

7. Jan 23, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not so sure: I think the Democrats are out for revenge and if they found anything they could hang their hat on, they'd push for impeachment in a second.

8. Jan 23, 2006 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

The majority consensus it that Bush has broken the law. It is the opposing party’s job to be the opposing party in a democracy (and they best be doing their job if they want to be reelected in 2006). Since all branches of government are Republican controlled, if they push for impeachment it's more like they could be hanging themselves out to dry.

9. Jan 23, 2006 #8
    Which is why there is no justice in the real world.

10. Jan 26, 2006 #9
    SOS, extremely on point. Russ's surmise is a one legged table; it doesn't have foundation with respect to a republican controlled federal government. :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?