Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The most difficult thing to do in the course Chemistry 1

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    What is the most difficult thing to do in the course Chemistry 1 (at your 2 year college or university)?
    In your opinion, what is the most difficult activity, or concept in the book to learn.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2
    Pragmatically, solving equilibrium expressions was the hardest for me. There's often a lot of equations to chug through.

Conceptually, I had trouble understanding where almost all of the quantum mechanics came from. Most of it is plucked from the air and has no context unless you have previous physics or quantum chemistry background.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3
    I would reccomend that you look over the quantum mechanics and orbital theory before you start the course. If such is your weakness, it will give you an avdantage and a better background for understanding the material when you study it seriously.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never studied quantum mechanics or quantum anything in Chem I. For me it was memorizing all of the charges of all of the ions... especially the polyatomic ions. Names for those polyatomic ions threw me for a loop as well. Sulfate... sulfite... sulfurous... blah, blah, blah.

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    I think that chemical equilibrium and atomic theory are somewhat difficult to people without background in these areas.

7. Apr 22, 2010 #6

rotfl @ "Sulfate... sulfite... sulfurous... blah, blah, blah."

Yes those are definitely in the book for the course.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook