The motion of cats and stuff in free fall

  • Topic: Classical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fall Free fall Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
etotheipi
Hey everyone, where can I learn fairly rigorousoly about continuum mechanics and specifically about how to map between motions in the configuration space ##\mathcal{C}## and motions in the shape space ##\mathcal{C} / SO(3)##? I would like to model the general motion of deformable bodies with constant angular momentum about the mass centre, thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
From the publishers site

Frontmatter
https://iopscience.iop.org/chapter/978-0-7503-1454-1/bk978-0-7503-1454-1ch0.pdf

Introduction
https://iopscience.iop.org/chapter/978-0-7503-1454-1/bk978-0-7503-1454-1ch1.pdf

The rest are behind a paywall.

Check out the description of Chap 24
“Chapter 24 returns to the problem of deformable media, but considers the case that bulk rigid motion is the primary motion, with relatively small deformations with respect to an appropriately defined rigidly moving observer frame (e.g., turbine blade, human bodies in a braking automobile, etc). Phantom body forces are derived to allow solving the problem in a non-inertial material frame.”

24 Pseudo-body force for spinning problems 24-1
24.1 Kinematics of superimposed rotation (general analysis) 24-1
24.2 Fiducial body force for superimposed rigid motion 24-7
24.2.1 Special case: pure accelerated translation 24-8 (without rotation)
24.2.2 Special case: centrifuge (steady rotation 24-9 without translation)
24.2.3 Buried explosives 24-11
Reference 24-12

Sounds like your cat dropping experiment.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: etotheipi
I did also find some notes here, which at a glance look alright:
https://web.mit.edu/abeyaratne/Volumes/RCA_Vol_II.pdf

not sure if there's anything about spinny cats in them, though! I'm afraid, I'm probably going to have to put the whole modelling various animals in free-fall thing on hold for the moment, because I have write-ups due tomorrow 😔

1611520203178.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and Frabjous