What is the gravitational component in the radial direction?

In summary: The radial component (in the ##-\hat r## direction) of the vector sum of red and blue is ##g_0-a_{CF}\cos(90^o-\theta)= g_0-a_{CF}\sin \theta##. The magnitude of the centripetal acceleration is ##a_{CF}=\Omega^2\rho=\Omega^2R \sin \theta## (see fig. 9.9).
SebastianRM
Hey guys, I reading over Taylor's Classical Mechanics book. Chapter 9, Centrifugal Acceleration Section.
In p.346 he mentions that for a free fall acceleration:
g = g_0 + Ω^2 * Rsinθ ρ
Where its radial component would be:
g_rad = g_0 - Ω^2 * Rsinθ^2
I am just confused in the derivation, I am unsure of how he got there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation you posted adds the centrifugal component to the force of attraction between the Earth and the mass. That is explained in Eq. (9.43). The second equation you posted is the magnitude of the vector sum implied by the first equation (see exaggerated diagram below). Taylor is calculating the radial component of the effective g (black arrow). This is the red arrow plus the projection of the centrifugal force FCF on the red arrow. That's ##F_{CF}\sin \theta##. ##F_{CF}## itself is given in Eq. (9.40).

Effective_g.png

Attachments

• Effective_g.png
    Effective_g.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 798
Likes SebastianRM
I am a bit confused on the projection aspect, I can only recall projection involving cos(theta) so would you mind explaining how to derive that projection?

SebastianRM said:
I am a bit confused on the projection aspect, I can only recall projection involving cos(theta) so would you mind explaining how to derive that projection?
If you take an angle theta in the first quadrant, the projection on the x-axis involves cos(theta). Its projection on the y-axis involves sin(theta).

Here, if we imagine coordinate axes, we could lay down the x-axis tangential to the Earth's surface (running from northwest to southeast). We could then lay down the y-axis at right angles, running from the center of the Earth out to the point of tangency. Now FCF is in the first quadrant and we want the projection on the y-axis (i.e. parallel to gravity). So we use the sine.

We could measure a different angle, e.g. the angle between FCF and g0. The projection would involve the cosine of that angle. Both sine and cosine are correct because the two angles are complementary (add up to 90 degrees).

jbriggs444 said:
Both sine and cosine are correct because the two angles are complementary (add up to 90 degrees).
Yes but Taylor's textbook measures angle ##\theta## from the Earth's rotation axis which in the drawing is from the bottom of the screen to the top (colatitude). The acute angle between the magnitudes of the red vector and the blue vector is 90o - θ. The choice has already been made.

Last edited:
Likes SebastianRM
kuruman said:
Yes but Taylor's textbook measures angle ##\theta## from the Earth's rotation axis which in the drawing is from the bottom of the screen to the top (colatitude). The acute angle between the magnitude of the red vector and the blue vector is 90o - θ. The choice has already been made.
Would you guys mind doing a diagram for this? I do not know why I am not getting it. I tried doing a diagram myself, I ended up with an X looking diagram with x-axis going from NW to SE (having this shape \ ). And the y-axis would be this element: / (So g_0 is pointing along this axis). With an angle theta between the y-axis and the Earth's rotation axis. This means that 90-theta will be the angle between g_0 and F_cf . That also means that the angle between F_cf and x-axis is also 90-theta.
So the projection of F_cf on the y-axis would be F_cf sin(90-theta), which i think it wrong it should only be F_cf sin(theta).

SebastianRM said:
Would you guys mind doing a diagram for this?
The radial component (in the ##-\hat r## direction) of the vector sum of red and blue is ##g_0-a_{CF}\cos(90^o-\theta)= g_0-a_{CF}\sin \theta##. The magnitude of the centripetal acceleration is ##a_{CF}=\Omega^2\rho=\Omega^2R \sin \theta## (see fig. 9.9).

Effective_g2.png

Attachments

• Effective_g2.png
    Effective_g2.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 441
Likes SebastianRM

What is the gravitational component in the radial direction?

The gravitational component in the radial direction is a force that acts towards or away from the center of an object, caused by the gravitational pull of another object.

How is the gravitational component in the radial direction calculated?

The gravitational component in the radial direction can be calculated using the equation F = GmM/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What factors affect the gravitational component in the radial direction?

The gravitational component in the radial direction is affected by the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The larger the masses, the stronger the force, and the closer the objects are, the stronger the force will be.

How does the gravitational component in the radial direction differ from the horizontal and vertical components?

The gravitational component in the radial direction is perpendicular to the surface of the object, while the horizontal and vertical components are parallel to the surface. The radial component is also the only component that affects the motion of objects in orbit around another object.

What is the significance of the gravitational component in the radial direction?

The gravitational component in the radial direction plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the orbits of planets around the sun, the tides on Earth, and the formation of galaxies. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of objects in space and predicting their movements.