Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The movement of hockey pucks on an air hockey table.

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    If an air hockey table is turned on and one end is elevated so the hockey puck slides to the other end freely. Would it take longer for a heavier puck to reach the end of the table before a lighter puck or vice versa?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2
    apparently heavier objects reach the ground faster than light objects assuming no air resistance
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=39234

4. Aug 21, 2011 #3
    Was this meant for another thread?

5. Aug 21, 2011 #4
    er it should be the same principle right? unless the air hockey is not free fall :(

its been ages since i last touched one.

6. Aug 21, 2011 #5
    Sorry. I was actually referring to the quote you put into the thread. It sounded like it was for someone else. I see why you posted it as an example though.

7. Aug 21, 2011 #6
    i don't know about recent agreements , but apparently the agreement is that in vacuum(no air resistance), all objects fall at the same rate

but in the quote i put above, the earth seems to prefer heavier objects and so heavy= fall faster

8. Aug 22, 2011 #7
    It depends on the size and shape of the pucks. If they are the exact same size and shape, but one is heavier, then it will reach the end faster. The reason is because it will be more aerodynamic relative to its mass.

You can think of it similar to a dropping a bowling ball and a playground ball of the same size and shape, at the same time. The bowling ball will hit the ground first because it cuts through the air better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook