The n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane are locally isometric

• Thread starter InbredDummy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that S^n and P^n(R) are locally isometric. It is mentioned that the antipodal mapping is an isometry and the projection map from S^n to P^n(R) is a local diffeomorphism. The question of the Riemannian metric on P^n(R) is brought up, but ultimately the individual was able to solve it with the help of the previous two facts.
InbredDummy

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex]S^n[/tex] and [tex]P^n(R)[/tex] are locally isometric.

Homework Equations

So I proved that the antipodal mapping A(p) = -p is an isometry. And I proved that the projection map from [tex]S^n[/tex] to [tex]P^n(R)[/tex] is a local diffeomorphism. I'm just not sure what the Riemannian metric on [tex]P^n(R)[/tex] would be.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it should be easy once I have the previous two facts, but can anyone help me just put it all together?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: I got it! I finally got it!

Last edited:
InbredDummy said:
EDIT: I got it! I finally got it!

Good! I was going to suggest the metric in the projective plane must be the one that it gets from the sphere, since they didn't give it to you. That would make it trivial. Is it that simple? Or am I just being simple minded?

1. What is the definition of an n-sphere and an n-dimensional projective plane?

An n-sphere is a geometric shape in n-dimensional space that is defined as the set of all points equidistant from a central point, also known as the center. An n-dimensional projective plane is a mathematical concept that extends the notion of a plane into higher dimensions, where points at infinity are added to the traditional points, lines, and planes.

2. What does it mean for the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane to be locally isometric?

Locally isometric means that there exists a mapping between the two geometric shapes that preserves the distance between points within a certain local region. In other words, the two shapes are locally equivalent in terms of their distances between points.

3. How is the local isometry between the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane established?

The local isometry between the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane is established through a mathematical process called stereographic projection. This involves projecting points from the n-sphere onto a plane, and then mapping those points onto the n-dimensional projective plane.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding the local isometry between the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane?

Understanding the local isometry between the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane has practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, and robotics. It allows for the representation and manipulation of objects in higher dimensions, which can be useful in various simulations and virtual environments.

5. Are there any limitations to the local isometry between the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane?

Yes, there are limitations to the local isometry between the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane. While the two shapes are locally isometric, they are not globally isometric. This means that there are certain properties that do not hold true for the entire shapes, only for specific local regions. Additionally, the local isometry only holds for certain dimensions of the n-sphere and the n-dimensional projective plane, and may not be applicable to all dimensions.