The Nature of Vectors: Understanding Displacement, Position, and Velocity

In summary, vectors are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement, position, and velocity. Scalars, on the other hand, only have magnitude and no direction, like distance, speed, and temperature. Examples of motion with displacement include walking around a circular track and walking to school four blocks west. The average velocity of a vehicle traveling 250km in 2.3 hours is 89.13km/h. It would take an asteroid traveling at 2.7 x 10^3m/s approximately 4.58 x 10^-7 seconds to travel 5.9 x 10^9m. For a man who walks 700m north and then 438m south, his total displacement from his
rosable
1. Which quantities are classified as vectors?
A. Distance, position, and velocity
B. Position, displacement, and speed
C. Displacement, speed, and velocityD.Displacement, position, and velocity

Use the information to answer the next question.
A student was given the following situations.
1. A cold air mass has a temperature 5ºC.
2. A car increases its velocity to 90 km/h.
3. An airplane changes its position to N 52º W.
4. A track contestant runs the 100 m dash in 9.89 s.
5. A submarine covers a displacement of 150 km, north.
2. Which of the given situations are examples of scalar quantities?
A. 1 and 3 only
B. 1 and 4 only
C. 2, 3, and 5 only
D. 2, 4, and 5 only
Use the information to answer the next question.
A student was given the following examples of motion.
1. A complete walk around a circular track.
2. A walk to school four blocks west.
3. A complete walk around the block.
4. A walk two blocks east, and then three blocks west.
3. For which motions is there displacement?
A. 1 and 3
B. 2 and 3
C. 2 and 4
D. 3 and 4
For displacement, the ending position has to be different than the starting positions.
4. A vehicle travels 250km in 2.3h. The average velocity for the trip is
The average velocity is 89.13km/h
5. How long would it take an asteroid traveling at 2.7 x 103m/s to travel 5.9 x 109m? 4.58x10^-7
6. A man walks 700m north, turns around and walks 438m south. What is his total displacement from his starting point?
His total displacement is 262 S

Physics news on Phys.org
I only checked 4,5,6 (I have a short attention span at the moment, sorry).

-4- 250/2.3 has to be over 100, right?

-5- Are 103 and 109 exponentials like 10^3 and 10^9? If so, 10^9[m] / 10^3[m/s] is about 10^6 seconds...

-6- He walked farther north than south, so how can the total displacement be in the "S" southern direction...?

Question one is incorrect.

-Hoot:smile:

Hootenanny said:
Question one is incorrect.

-Hoot:smile:
Really? Assuming velocity is a vector (I can never remember the speed versus velocity semantics), why aren't displacement and position vectors? Displacement is the difference between two position vectors, no?

berkeman said:
Really? Assuming velocity is a vector (I can never remember the speed versus velocity semantics), why aren't displacement and position vectors? Displacement is the difference between two position vectors, no?

Your quite correct, I thought the OP had highlighted C, my laptop screen doesn't work well with pinks :grumpy:

1. What is the purpose of having someone check my work?

The purpose of having someone check your work is to ensure that it is accurate and free of errors. This can help you identify any mistakes or areas for improvement in your work, and ultimately improve the overall quality of your work.

2. Who can I ask to check my work?

You can ask anyone you trust to check your work, such as a colleague, mentor, or friend. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable in the subject matter and can provide constructive feedback.

3. How do I know if my work needs to be checked?

If you are unsure about the accuracy or quality of your work, it is always a good idea to have someone else review it. This is especially important for important or high-stakes projects, as even small mistakes can have significant consequences.

4. What should I expect when someone checks my work?

You should expect the person checking your work to provide feedback and suggestions for improvement. They may also ask you questions or point out areas that may need clarification or further development.

5. How do I handle criticism when someone checks my work?

It is important to remember that the purpose of having someone check your work is to improve it, not to criticize or attack you. Try to approach their feedback with an open mind and use it as an opportunity to grow and learn. If you disagree with their criticism, you can politely discuss it with them and come to a resolution.