The net force and centre of gravity of a one dimensional object

In summary, the conversation was about deriving a formula for the forces and center of gravity of objects in one dimensional space. The speaker had tried to do it without referring to any source and got a solution, but wanted to check with experienced people. The force equation was almost correct, but it's best to use a proper sign convention for the force. The center of gravity calculation was incorrect and should simply be the radial distance at which the force on a point mass of the same mass as the rod is the same as that on the rod.
Droctagonopus
I have been trying to derive a formula for the forces acting on and the centre of gravity of objects in a one dimensional space. I've started in one dimension to make things easier and intend to move on to two dimensions soon. I tried to do it without referring to any source and I got a solution which I want to check with experienced people.

A one dimensional stick whose mass is uniformly distributed has its centre of mass at position x on a number line. It has a mass of m and a length l. There is a point mass at x = 0 of mass M.

I used to gravitational equation inside an integral.

[itex]x+\frac{l}{2}[/itex]​
[itex]F_{G} = \frac{\int Fdr}{l} = mMG\int\frac{1}{r^{2}}dr[/itex]
[itex]x-\frac{l}{2}[/itex]​

(Sorry about the bad placement of the limits because I don't know how to put them in the editor).

I then used this equation to find out the centre of gravity.

[itex]\frac{\int FRdr}{\int Fdr}=\frac{\int\frac{1}{r}dr}{\int\frac{1}{r^{2}}dr}[/itex] with the limits of both integrals being the same as the limits for the equation for the force.

I substituted the values into the integrals and got the final equations to be these:
[itex]F_{G}=\frac{4mMG|x|}{x(l^{2}-4x^{2})}[/itex]
(The [itex]\frac{|x|}{x}[/itex] is there to account for the direction of the force).

[itex]x_{G}=\frac{ln(\frac{2x+l}{2x-l})(4x^{2}-l^{2})}{4l}[/itex]

Are my reasoning and equations correct? It took me hours to get to this. (Actually, it took me two years because I didn't know the problem needed integrals and I didn't know what integrals were but once I realized that it might need integrals it took me hours).

Edit: I have checked them with some actual values and they do seem correct. As the stick goes further away from the point mass the centre of gravity and centre of mass of the stick converge and the force on the stick gets closer to the value of the force on a particle of the same mass at the same position. But I might still be wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, your equations are not correct.

The force integral is almost correct. It's best to use a proper sign convention indicating that force pulls the object toward the origin. You should be using [itex]F_G = -\frac{GmM}{l}\int_{x-l/2}^{x+l/2} \frac{dr}{r^2}[/itex].

The center of gravity calculation is incorrect. This is simply the radial distance at which the force on a point mass of mass m is the same as that on your rod. There is no natural logarithm in the solution.

Thanks. I understand the force now.

To summarise for the centre of gravity. If, instead of a rod, there existed another point mass of the same mass of the rod, the position of this point mass so that it has the same force exerted on it as on the rod is the centre of gravity of the rod. Right?

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the forces acting on it. It can be calculated by summing up all the individual forces acting on the object.

2. How is net force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that a larger net force will result in a greater acceleration, and vice versa.

3. How do you calculate the centre of gravity of a one dimensional object?

The centre of gravity of a one dimensional object can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual particles that make up the object. This can be done by dividing the sum of the masses of each particle multiplied by their respective distances from a reference point, by the total mass of the object.

4. What is the significance of the centre of gravity in one dimensional objects?

The centre of gravity is an important concept in one dimensional objects as it is the point where the entire weight of the object can be considered to act. This point is also the point of equilibrium for the object, meaning that it will remain balanced as long as the net force acting on it is zero.

5. Can the centre of gravity be located outside of the physical object?

Yes, the centre of gravity can be located outside of the physical object. This can happen if the object has an irregular shape or if there are external forces acting on the object, causing a shift in its centre of gravity. However, the centre of gravity will always remain within the boundaries of the object.