The Normal Zeeman Effect and Hydrogen States

In summary: Prob:(ψ3) = 1/4 [4+2e^-i(ω1-ω2)t-2e^-i(ω2-ω1)t] = 1Oops, so I made two mistakes, one of which I've now corrected, and the second will be corrected in the following post.So, the probability for state |ψ1> is:Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [1+e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t] = 1/2 [1+cos((ω1-ω2)t)]and the probability for state |ψ2> is:Prob
mrjohns
I'm studying the hydrogen atom and have this question. Apparently it can be solved without perturbation theory, however I'm having trouble justifying it.

Homework Statement

153wwgi.png

2. The attempt at a solution

Avoiding perturbation theory I simply get:

E = E(n) - constant*(mh) where m is the angular momentum number not mass

Which seems a little too easy.

For the second part I can see the initial t=0 wavefunction is normalised no problem, but when I apply the time evolution operator e^(iEt)/h things get messy.

Am I right in thinking the probability for the third state | 2 1 0 > is just zero for all time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mrjohns. Welcome to PF!

mrjohns said:
Avoiding perturbation theory I simply get:

E = E(n) - constant*(mh) where m is the angular momentum number not mass

Which seems a little too easy.

That looks good.

For the second part I can see the initial t=0 wavefunction is normalised no problem, but when I apply the time evolution operator e^(iEt)/h things get messy.
Can you show a little more detail. It shouldn't be messy.

Am I right in thinking the probability for the third state | 2 1 0 > is just zero for all time?
Yes.

Thanks for the reply.

If I say the energies are E=E(n)-E(b)*mh I get by time evolution:

|psi(t)> = 1/sqr(2) [ e^-i(E(n)+E(b))t | 2 1 -1 > - e^-i(E(n)-E(b))t | 2 1 1 > ]

Which by Eulers formula:

=1/sqrt(2) { [ cos[(-E(n)-E(b))t] + isin[(-E(n)-E(b))t] ] | 2 1 -1 > - [ cos[(-E(n)+E(b))t] + isin[(-E(n)+E(b))t] ] | 2 1 1 > }

Which is normalised for all time, since (cos(x)+isin(x))(cos(x)-isin(x))=1

Now obviously it can never get to the |psi(3)>=|210> state of |nlm> since this evolution doesn't change the value of m.

But I can't see how it can evolve to the |psi(2)> state. Should I have left in m, rather than substituted 1 and -1 in for it?

You have |ψ(t)> = 1/√2 [e-iω1t | 2 1 -1 > - e-iω2t | 2 1 1 > ] where ω1 = E(n)+E(b) and ω2 = E(n)-E(b)

Note that the phase factors in front of | 2 1 -1 > and | 2 1 1 > oscillate with different frequencies. So, there will be instants of time when the phase factors are equal (which gives |ψ1>) and instants of time when the phase factors are exactly out of phase with each other (which gives |ψ2>).

Now that you have an expression for |ψ(t)>, how would you get the probability amplitude for this state to be measured as |ψ1>?

Using matrix multiplication and putting bras to kets i get:

Prob amp for |ψ1> = 1/2 [e^-iω1t + e^-iω2t] => Probability is one when e^-iω1t = e^-iω2t = 1

Prob amp for |ψ2> = 1/2 [e^-iω1t - e^-iω2t] => Probability is one when e^-iω1t = -e^-iω2t = 1

Prob amp for |ψ3> = 0 for all time

Now these probability amplitudes for |ψ1>,|ψ2>,|ψ3> sum to e^-iω1t which does not equal one. Is this correct?

Or am I reading the question wrong, and is it simply asking whether <ψ(t)|ψ(t)> = 1 for all time? (Which it does.)

[Edit-And I've also got the added condition for the phases e^-iω1t = e^-iω2t = 1 rather than when they're just equal, and e^-iω1t = -e^-iω2t = 1 rather than when they're just out of phase.

I know I want to do <ψ1|ψ(t)> to find the probability amplitude for ψ1

Do I want <ψ1| = 1/√2 [< 2 1 -1 | - < 2 1 1 |] or am I missing something?]

Last edited:
mrjohns said:
Using matrix multiplication and putting bras to kets i get:

Prob amp for |ψ1> = 1/2 [e^-iω1t + e^-iω2t] => Probability is one when e^-iω1t = e^-iω2t = 1

Prob amp for |ψ2> = 1/2 [e^-iω1t - e^-iω2t] => Probability is one when e^-iω1t = -e^-iω2t = 1

Prob amp for |ψ3> = 0 for all time

Now these probability amplitudes for |ψ1>,|ψ2>,|ψ3> sum to e^-iω1t which does not equal one. Is this correct?

Or am I reading the question wrong, and is it simply asking whether <ψ(t)|ψ(t)> = 1 for all time? (Which it does.)

A probability amplitude is a product of a bra with a ket. So, I'm not following your statements above. But you are correct in what you state below:

I know I want to do <ψ1|ψ(t)> to find the probability amplitude for ψ1

Do I want <ψ1| = 1/√2 [< 2 1 -1 | - < 2 1 1 |] or am I missing something?]

Yes this is all you need to do, find <ψ1|ψ(t)>

where <ψ1| = 1/√2 [< 2 1 -1 | - < 2 1 1 |] and |ψ(t)> = 1/√2 [e-1t | 2 1 -1 > - e-iω2t | 2 1 1 > ]

So does the methodology here look right?

<ψ1|ψ(t)> = {1/√2 [< 2 1 -1 | - < 2 1 1 |]}{1/√2 [e-iω1t | 2 1 -1 > - e-iω2t | 2 1 1 > ] }
<ψ1|ψ(t)> = 1/2 [< 2 1 -1 | e-iω1t | 2 1 -1 > + < 2 1 1 | e-iω2t | 2 1 1 >]
<ψ1|ψ(t)> = 1/2 [e^-iω1t + e^-iω2t] by orthonormality

And similarly:

<ψ2|ψ(t)> = 1/2 [e^-iω1t - e^-iω2t] by orthonormality

<ψ3|ψ(t)> = 0

To get the probability density I need to square by complex conjugate, so get:

Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [e^-iω1t + e^-iω2t][e^+iω1t + e^+iω2t]
Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [2+2e^(-i^2)ω1ω2(t^2)]
Prob:(ψ1) = 1/2 [1+e^ω1ω2(t^2)]

And similarly:

Prob:(ψ2) = 1/2 [1-e^ω1ω2(t^2)]

Thus Prob:(ψ1) + Prob:(ψ2) + Prob:(ψ3) = 1/2 [1+e^ω1ω2(t^2)] + 1/2 [1-e^ω1ω2(t^2)] = 1 for all time.

And we get:

Prob:(ψ1)=1 if e^ω1ω2(t^2)=1
Prob:(ψ2)=1 if e^ω1ω2(t^2)=-1

Does this seem ok? One part that's bugging me is e^ω1ω2(t^2) - how do I know it is bound between -1 and 1 in order for the probability density equations to make sense?

Last edited:
mrjohns said:
To get the probability [STRIKE]density[/STRIKE] I need to square by complex conjugate, so get:

Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [2+2e^(-i^2)ω1ω2(t^2)]

Good up to the blue line. Rethink the product e-iω1te+iω2t

Whoops, so I should have typed:

Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [1+e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t+1]
Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [2+e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t]

And similarly:

Prob:(ψ2) = 1/4 [2-e^-i(ω1-ω2)t-e^-i(ω2-ω1)t]

Thus Prob:(ψ1) + Prob:(ψ2) + Prob:(ψ3) = 1/4 [2+e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t] + 1/4 [2-e^-i(ω1-ω2)t-e^-i(ω2-ω1)t] = 1 for all time.

And we get:

Prob:(ψ1)=1 if e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t=2
Prob:(ψ2)=1 if e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t=-2

So now I need | e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t | <= 2 - how do I know it is bound in this way? And isn't the complex part an issue?

Last edited:
mrjohns said:
Whoops, so I should have typed:

Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [1+e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t+1]
Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [2+e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^-i(ω2-ω1)t]

Use the identity eix + e-ix = 2cos(x)

Ah, so:

Prob:(ψ1) = 1/4 [2+e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^+i(ω1-ω2)t]
Prob:(ψ1) = 1/2 {1+cos[(ω1-ω2)t]}

Prob:(ψ2) = 1/4 [2-(e^-i(ω1-ω2)t+e^+i(ω1-ω2)t)]
Prob:(ψ2) = 1/2 {1-cos[(ω1-ω2)t]}

Now I can see that looks a lot better - the probabilities for each are bound between 0 and 1, and Prob:(ψ1)=1 at t=0.

When cos[(ω1-ω2)t=1, Prob:(ψ1)=1, and when cos[(ω1-ω2)t]=-1, Prob:(ψ2)=1.

Yes. Good.

Cheers, thanks so much for your help.

1. What is the Normal Zeeman Effect?

The Normal Zeeman Effect is a phenomenon in which the spectral lines of an atom are split into multiple lines when placed in a magnetic field. This effect was first observed by Pieter Zeeman in 1896.

2. How does the Normal Zeeman Effect occur?

The Normal Zeeman Effect occurs when the magnetic field causes the energy levels of the atom to split, resulting in the spectral lines being split into multiple components. This splitting is caused by the interaction between the magnetic moment of the atom and the magnetic field.

3. What is the significance of the Normal Zeeman Effect for hydrogen atoms?

The Normal Zeeman Effect is particularly significant for hydrogen atoms because it allows us to study the energy levels and transitions of the atom in more detail. By observing the splitting of the spectral lines, we can gain a better understanding of the structure and behavior of hydrogen atoms.

4. What is the difference between the Normal Zeeman Effect and the Anomalous Zeeman Effect?

The Normal Zeeman Effect occurs when the magnetic field is weak, while the Anomalous Zeeman Effect occurs when the magnetic field is strong. In the Anomalous Zeeman Effect, the energy levels split into more than three components and the transitions between these levels are more complex.

5. How is the Normal Zeeman Effect used in scientific research?

The Normal Zeeman Effect is used in a variety of scientific studies, including spectroscopy, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. By studying the splitting of spectral lines, scientists can gain valuable information about the energy levels and transitions of atoms, which can help us understand the fundamental properties of matter and the universe.