The Origin of People -- hominin migration and evolution

In summary: The article does not say.6. First Homo sapiens arose 60,000 years ago. How?When?Why?Where? Then in graph right under the 60,000 it says 50,000This is not explained.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Origins of various modern human populations has been the subject of a few posts recently. Below is a link to a Science mag news article on this subject.

Modern Archeology has been using new tools, such as DNA analysis (of modern populations and ancient dead people) and isotope analysis (on dead people, to determine whether or not they spent different parts of their lives in the local environment (due to distinctive isotope signatures)).
Traditional archeological data (to a large amount reflecting culture, not biology directly) do not directly reflect the biological origins of particular people.

Presumably, the biological unit (a person with a particular set of genetic traits) can acquire cultural traits (produce pottery, other artifacts, or organizational structures) regardless of their genetics.
The proper analysis of a history of people would combine them all.

Using this new information, somewhat deep histories of modern human populations can be assembled.
This open access article from Science mag, mostly focused on Europe, compares the empirical information with mythologized origin stories.
Few match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Buzz Bloom, UsableThought, Ygggdrasil and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
Few match.

Gee, I wonder why...

BillTre said:

Below is a link to a Science mag news article on this subject.

This open access article from Science mag, mostly focused on Europe, compares the empirical information with mythologized origin stories.
Few match.

Great article, thanks.

I have always found the migrations, and inter-breeding of peoples to be a fascinating subject, and especially of late, the studies showing that Neanderthals may have been assimilated, rather than having been wiped out by their contemporaries. (Although I have also seen some non-science magazine articles claiming otherwise, but hey, who you going to believe?)

This is great info about a very interesting topic and I am glad to learn anything about where we came from and how we got to where we are. There is lots of discoveries being made by people digging up the past with care and respect for who they were and why they did what was done.

While the origin of humans is interested and deserves more detailed attention, I found the linked article in "Science" to border on propaganda.

1. "pure" European - no group is "pure" but there are certainly differences between groups.
2. We all have a distinct genetic heritage
3. Within the 1st paragraph of a "science" article we encounter the word Nazi. Nazi is found several times in the article. It escapes me how sprinkling the word Nazi through out the paper supports a "scientific" endeavor
4. "German people have no unique heritage to protect." We all have a unique heritage
5. New studies - 3 migrations last 15,000 years - What studies? Origin of migration? Number? Reason for migration? This would have made a great article.
6. First Homo sapiens arose 60,000 years ago. How?When?Why?Where? Then in graph right under the 60,000 it says 50,000

7. Obiter dicturm - "walked out of Africa" - http://www.albany.edu/news/release_1101.shtml Here is an article, although about chimpazees (note human vs chimp migrations patterns different) that suggests that swimming (overcoming bodies of water) might have had something to do with migration.

At present there is scatterings of information all over the place about the origin of humans and their migration patterns. While the details are still very vague and subjective it is amazing to discern the ability of humans to find and inhabit every nook and cranny on the planet.

Niwrad said:
1. "pure" European - no group is "pure" but there are certainly differences between groups.

True, but that's not the point of the article.

Niwrad said:
2. We all have a distinct genetic heritage

Yes, but the article is talking about the genetic heritage of a group of people, and they are using a specific definition of heritage:

"Moreover, Arminius and his kin were not pure “Aryan,” if that term means a person whose ancestors lived solely in what is now Germany or Scandinavia. "

A "pure" heritage of a group of people would be one where the group as a whole has ancestors who lived in a single area without mixing with other groups of people. But, except for a very small number of groups, humans have been mixing with migrating groups for millennia, leading to totally different heritages even for people living right next to each other.

Niwrad said:
3. Within the 1st paragraph of a "science" article we encounter the word Nazi. Nazi is found several times in the article. It escapes me how sprinkling the word Nazi through out the paper supports a "scientific" endeavor

It does if such a group had a large impact on the direction of research that the field too, which it appears that it did.

Niwrad said:
4. "German people have no unique heritage to protect." We all have a unique heritage

An individual does, but a group of people usually does not, as the article explained.

Niwrad said:
5. New studies - 3 migrations last 15,000 years - What studies? Origin of migration? Number? Reason for migration? This would have made a great article.

Absolutely. But that's not the topic of this article.

Niwrad said:
6. First Homo sapiens arose 60,000 years ago. How?When?Why?Where? Then in graph right under the 60,000 it says 50,000

The text above the graph says more than 50,000 years and the graph itself points to about 55,000 years. This looks to be an obvious case of rounding.

Niwrad said:
At present there is scatterings of information all over the place about the origin of humans and their migration patterns. While the details are still very vague and subjective it is amazing to discern the ability of humans to find and inhabit every nook and cranny on the planet.

Indeed it is.

Likes Buzz Bloom and BillTre
Darkkith

1. If "pure" is not the point of the article why have it in the title?
2. Very convenient to have a "specific" definition of heritage.
3. The word Nazi could have been left out of the article without changing anything in the article.
4. If an individual has a unique heritage, then a collection of individuals has a unique heritage. There is probably a statistics trick that makes uniqueness disappear, but we are talking about a group of people who have shared a common culture for hundreds of years. This group of people is going to be culturally different (unique) from a group of people living in Thailand.
5. I suppose I have to agree that precision is not important - 60,000 or maybe 55,000 or 50,000 - the correct answer on the final exam is - whatever.

Niwrad said:
Darkkith

Because it shall emphasize the impossibility to define this in any reasonable, scientific way. Therefore the quotation marks 'pure'.
It is always convenient to define what one's talking about.
3. The word Nazi could have been left out of the article without changing anything in the article.
No, because this group of primates have genetic heritage on their agenda, and the article shows its absurdity. I assume the historical digression should be read as an allegory on current strands in some parts of the world.
4. If an individual has a unique heritage, then a collection of individuals has a unique heritage.
Pardon, what? This is nonsense.
There is probably a statistics trick that makes uniqueness disappear, but we are talking about a group of people who have shared a common culture for hundreds of years.
So they have a cultural heritage, which is by no means neither static nor unique.
This group of people is going to be culturally different (unique) from a group of people living in Thailand.
Different maybe, unique not. And as said before, this is only true if considered in small periods of time and on small aspects of the entire culture.
5. I suppose I have to agree that precision is not important - 60,000 or maybe 55,000 or 50,000 - the correct answer on the final exam is - whatever.
All these numbers appear to be a bit low, however they are nowhere claimed to mark the appearance of homo sapiens.

Likes Buzz Bloom, berkeman and BillTre
Niwrad said:

Hmmm. Perhaps I misunderstood your comment. I'll detract my previous statement for now.

Niwrad said:

It certainly helps.

Niwrad said:

I disagree. If what the article said about Nazi Germany influencing the field is true, then it certainly deserves to be left in. In my opinion at least.

Niwrad said:
4. If an individual has a unique heritage, then a collection of individuals has a unique heritage. There is probably a statistics trick that makes uniqueness disappear, but we are talking about a group of people who have shared a common culture for hundreds of years. This group of people is going to be culturally different (unique) from a group of people living in Thailand.

They will certainly have a different culture. But I agree with the article's stance. The belief that everyone in a certain area has ancestors that, for the last ten to twenty thousand years, have lived in that same area and have not mixed with other people, is incorrect.

1. What is the current scientific understanding of hominin migration and evolution?

The current scientific understanding of hominin migration and evolution is that it is a complex and ongoing process that has occurred over millions of years. Hominins, which include humans and their ancestors, first evolved in Africa and then migrated to other parts of the world, adapting to new environments and evolving different physical and behavioral traits.

2. What evidence supports the theory of hominin migration and evolution?

There is a wealth of evidence that supports the theory of hominin migration and evolution. Fossil evidence, such as skeletal remains and footprints, show the physical changes that occurred in hominins over time. Genetic and molecular evidence also provides insight into the evolutionary relationships between different hominin species. Additionally, archaeological evidence, such as tools and artifacts, show how hominins adapted to different environments and developed new technologies.

3. How did hominin migration and evolution contribute to the diversity of human populations?

Hominin migration and evolution played a significant role in the diversity of human populations. As hominins migrated to different parts of the world, they encountered new environments and selective pressures, leading to the development of different physical and behavioral traits. This diversity allowed humans to adapt and thrive in a variety of environments, from the hot and dry savannas of Africa to the cold and harsh tundras of Asia.

4. What factors influenced hominin migration and evolution?

There were several factors that influenced hominin migration and evolution. Changes in climate and environment played a significant role, as hominins had to adapt to new conditions in order to survive. Interactions and competition with other hominin species also influenced the evolution of different traits. Additionally, social and cultural factors, such as the development of language and the ability to create and use tools, also played a role in shaping hominin migration and evolution.

5. How does the study of hominin migration and evolution contribute to our understanding of human origins?

The study of hominin migration and evolution is crucial in understanding human origins. By examining the physical and behavioral changes that occurred in hominins over time, scientists can trace the evolutionary path that led to the development of modern humans. This research also provides insight into the factors that shaped human evolution and the diversity of human populations. Furthermore, studying hominin migration and evolution helps us better understand our place in the natural world and the connections we share with other living beings.