Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The period between two successive cell divisions is called?

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    the period between two successive cell divisions is called ?
    according to the site below
    http://www.geekmcq.com/biology/cellcycle/discussion-7116
    it's interphase
    and as per below site

upload_2015-7-22_22-59-16.png

in question no 17 as we can see it is called generation time.And my teacher says generation time is same as cell cycle.Now I am confused what actually the period between two successive cell divisions is called ?Interphase or cell cycle i.e generation time.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

The amount of time elapsed between two successive cell divisions is called the generation time. The name of the collective phases of the cell cycle between mitotic phases is interphase.

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3
    The period between two successive cell divisions is called Interphase or the resting phase. This is the time during which the cell decides to either divide or stop dividing (Note: it is in the case of animal cells because plant cells have special cells called the meristematic cells which are meant to divide). If it chooses to divide there is this G1(first growth), Synthetic and G2 phases after which the actual division(Pro,meta,telo-phases) happen. And the Cell Cycle is all the above processes taking place in a cyclic manner! i.e., the cell divides the divided cells again go through all the processes and they divide again, it goes on until the cell divides to stop dividing.

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4
    Is there any difference between mitotic phase and cell division?

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5
    What you think about this?

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6
    Generation time is the time taken for a cell cycle which includes all the phases I had told you before.

8. Jul 22, 2015 #7

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Cell division is a fairly general and imprecise term that encompasses the entire process of how one cell gives rise to two daughter cells. If you want a more precise definition, I'd call the generation time the elapsed time between two successive cytokinesis events. You could also say that the generation time is the length of the cell cycle.

9. Jul 22, 2015 #8
    So generation time is
    Does cell cycle include cytokinesis?I think yes..

10. Jul 22, 2015 #9

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

In almost all cases, yes. There are some rare types of cells that undergo mitosis without cytokinesis to make multinucleated cells.

11. Jul 22, 2015 #10
    interphase definition is easily available .It includes G1 phase,S phase and G2 phase, right?

12. Jul 22, 2015 #11

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yup, that is correct.

13. Jul 22, 2015 #12
  14. Jul 22, 2015 #13

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

15. Jul 22, 2015 #14
    If you are saying , I can certify this !:smile:Thanks thanks thanks a lot.

16. Jul 22, 2015 #15
    Happy :smile: !!!
    I have found something trustworthy !You are my favorite @Ygggdrasil

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook