The physical meaning of a symmetry

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Planck const
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physical Symmetry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Planck const
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I know that the physical meaning of SU3 and SU2 - you can change the places of the quarks or/and leptons and you will get the same results.

What is the physical meaning of U1, and O3,1 (Lorentz group if I am not wrong)?

I know U1 is connect with the Polarization of the light.

Thanks very much to the people who will answer... (sorry about my bad english)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
U(1) is isomorphic to SO(2), the 2D rotation group.

The connection with the polarization of light is that the polarization of massless fields in n space-time dimensions lives in the (n-2) transverse dimensions, in this case, 2. So the transverse-dimension rotation group in 4D is SO(2).

The Lorentz group is indeed SO(3,1) -- the numbers are because the space-time metric's signature is +++- or ---+, depending on the convention.