The Physics of A Human Landing and Rolling

In summary, Parkour practitioners use a roll to disperse the force of an impact. It is a better way to take the impact of a drop than simply landing.
grantparkour
HI there, I'm a practicioner of Parkour, which is a discipline that involves training to allow yourself to pass any obstacles simply using your body.
One of the movements which we use is a roll, designed to aid landing from height.

As I understand it, the basic idea is that the roll disperses the force exerted on your body from the impact and prevents the force being focued on a specific place and causing damage.

Basically If I was wondering if anyone could offer a more full explanation of why this roll is a much better way to take the impact of a drop than simply land.
A few guys on my parkour forums don't seem to buy it into it, whereas it's use seems obvious to me. I figured if I can get some scientific evidence they might start to understand it's use.

This is a video of footage of rolls performed by one of the originators of the sport, as an example:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rekmYbFRbK0
(as a quick disclaimer, the drops etc in this video are really huge - this guys has been doing parkour for 20 years - I don't perform movements that high!)

This is my local parkour website, if you would like any more details:
www.glasgowparkour.co.uk

Thanks for any help,
Chris Grant

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:eek: Wow! It is as some of these martial acts based on projections.

I think you should not consider only force but also energy. Energy and momentum are the preserved quantities, what means they are the ones you must produce or, in this case, absorb (the force of gravity acting on the body produces for free this energy and momentum). The roll permits the forces to be distributed around all the body and around time, so no part of the body suffers any point force beyond the body "break limits". At all, it is about not breaking structures (er, human bodies), so it is something between physics and engineering.

Last edited:
The main thing the roll does is to give the person's center of mass more distance to decelerate when landing and therefore reduce the rate of deceleration. If there's no forward speed in the drop, the methods shown in the video would have to be modified.

On a competition trampoline, with its adjacent pads, where head impact isn't an issue, the feet are positioned forwards with the knee joints bent and relaxed, resulting in a back roll or energy killing back flip. This wouldn't work on hard ground because of the head impact speed.

Jeff Reid said:
If there's no forward speed in the drop, the methods shown in the video would have to be modified[..] resulting in a back roll

Yeah, concerning the physics it's basically a flashy "parachute roll". (Incidentally, being more diagonal than a somersault gives the neck some protection.)

In addition to (as Jeff said) lengthening the distance over which you decelerate, it also spreads the force over more of your body: instead of directing all of the energy into your legs (compressing them beyond the point where something breaks), in a parachute roll you (afterward) let yourself topple back onto your side (letting the energy dissipate from your legs) and spreading the force of the remaining impact over the entire length of the body (like a "break fall").

1. How does the force of gravity affect a human's landing and rolling?

The force of gravity plays a crucial role in a human's landing and rolling by pulling the person towards the ground. As the person falls, the force of gravity increases their speed, leading to a harder impact upon landing. However, once the person begins to roll, the force of gravity also helps to slow down their rotation, allowing for a smoother and more controlled rolling motion.

2. What other factors besides gravity impact a human's landing and rolling?

Besides gravity, air resistance and the surface material also play a role in a human's landing and rolling. Air resistance slows down the person's fall, reducing the impact force upon landing. The surface material can also affect the rolling motion, as a softer surface will absorb more energy and lead to a slower and smoother roll.

3. Why is it important for a human to roll upon landing?

Rolling upon landing is essential for reducing the impact force on the body. When a person rolls, the energy from the fall is distributed over a larger surface area, decreasing the force exerted on any one body part. This helps to prevent injuries and allows for a safer landing.

4. How does a person's body shape and weight affect their landing and rolling?

A person's body shape and weight can affect their landing and rolling in several ways. A taller and heavier person will experience a greater force of gravity and a higher impact upon landing. However, they will also have more momentum while rolling, which can lead to a longer roll. A person's body shape can also affect their aerodynamics, which can impact their fall and rolling motion.

5. Are there any techniques a person can use to improve their landing and rolling?

Yes, there are techniques that can help a person improve their landing and rolling. One technique is to keep the body relaxed and loose, allowing for a smoother and more controlled rolling motion. Another technique is to tuck the chin towards the chest while rolling, which can help protect the head and neck. Practicing proper falling and rolling techniques can also help improve a person's overall coordination and reduce the risk of injury.