The position of a 2.75x10^5 N training helicopter under test is given by

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
Mdhiggenz
Messages
324
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



The position of a 2.75x10^5 N training helicopter under test is given by...?
vector r = (0.020m/s^3)t^3ihat+(2.2 m/s)tjhat-(0.060m/s^2)t^2 khat

Find the net force on the helicopter at t=5.0s

Express your answer in terms of ihat, jhat , and khat . Express your coefficient using two significant figures.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't understand why me must take the second derivative, already solved it just want some clarification on to why we get the second derivative.

Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement



The position of a 2.75x10^5 N training helicopter under test is given by...?
vector r = (0.020m/s^3)t^3ihat+(2.2 m/s)tjhat-(0.060m/s^2)t^2 khat

Find the net force on the helicopter at t=5.0s

Express your answer in terms of ihat, jhat , and khat . Express your coefficient using two significant figures.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't understand why me must take the second derivative, already solved it just want some clarification on to why we get the second derivative.

Thank you!


By definition, the second derivative of position with respect to time is the acceleration. This should be pretty intuitive:

velocity is the rate of change of position with time.

acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with time.

Hence, velocity is the derivative of position, and acceleration is the derivative of velocity.
 
I think I understand, since force = sigmaF = Ma

we have the force, and we are solving for the acceleration in order to multiply it by the mass to get the net?
 
Mdhiggenz said:
I think I understand, since force = sigmaF = Ma

we have the force, and we are solving for the acceleration in order to multiply it by the mass to get the net?

Yes, exactly. If you know the acceleration, and the mass, then you know the net force. That is because of Newton's 2nd Law.