Finding force from position equation

In summary: The correct answer should be 65.9 N - 44.1 N = 21.8 N.In summary, the force at 4 seconds on a 4.50kg crate suspended from a short vertical rope is 21.8 N, taking into account the acceleration due to gravity. The incorrect answer of 65.9 N was due to not considering the force of gravity and miscalculating the units.
omega5

Homework Statement

A 4.50kg crate is suspended from the end of a short vertical rope of negligible mass. An upward force F(t)is applied to the end of the rope, and the height of the crate above its initial position is given by ##y(t) = (2.80m/s)t +(0.61m/s^3)t^3## What is the force at 4 seconds?

Homework Equations

$$F = ma$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the double derivative to get an acceleration equation:
##y'(t) = (3*0.61) t^2 + 2.80##
##y''(t) = a(t) = (0.61*3*2) t = 3.66t##

## F = 4.50 kg * 3.66 * 4.00s = 65.9 N##

Although MasteringPhysics tells me my answer's wrong, it doesn't give any explanation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
omega5 said:

Homework Statement

A 4.50kg crate is suspended from the end of a short vertical rope of negligible mass. An upward force F(t)is applied to the end of the rope, and the height of the crate above its initial position is given by ##y(t) = (2.80m/s)t +(0.61m/s^3)t^3## What is the force at 4 seconds?

Homework Equations

$$F = ma$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the double derivative to get an acceleration equation:
##y'(t) = (3*0.61) t^2 + 2.80##
##y''(t) = a(t) = (0.61*3*2) t = 3.66t##

## F = 4.50 kg * 3.66 * 4.00s = 65.9 N##

Although MasteringPhysics tells me my answer's wrong, it doesn't give any explanation.
Your last equation says force = mass x acceleration x time. Is that what Newton said?

I thought 3.66t would give the acceleration since the original equation gives the jerk.

One issue is that you didn't carry the units of the constants through your differentiations. Thus your constant in the last equation should be 3.66 m/s3.

A second issue is that I don't see where the force due to gravity on the crate is taken into account.

Ah! Thank you very much. That was the missing piece.

1. How do you find force from a position equation?

To find force from a position equation, you will need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. By plugging in the values for mass and acceleration from the given equation, you can calculate the force.

2. What is the relationship between force and position?

The relationship between force and position is that force is directly proportional to position. This means that as the position increases, the force also increases, and vice versa. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where k is the proportionality constant.

3. Can you find force from a position equation without knowing the mass?

No, you cannot find force from a position equation without knowing the mass. As mentioned before, Newton's second law of motion requires both mass and acceleration to calculate force. Without knowing the mass, the force cannot be accurately determined.

4. How does a change in position affect the force?

A change in position will affect the force in a proportional manner. This means that a greater change in position will result in a greater force, while a smaller change in position will result in a smaller force. This relationship can be represented by the equation F = kx, where x is the change in position.

5. Can you use a position equation to calculate force for any object?

Yes, a position equation can be used to calculate force for any object. As long as the mass and acceleration values are known, the force can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion. However, the equation may need to be modified depending on the object's specific characteristics, such as its shape or the forces acting upon it.