The potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities

In summary, the solution provides the general potential formula for a charged sphere and discusses how to find the potential outside the sphere using boundary conditions. It also explains how to find the potential at the z-axis and how to use it to determine the coefficients B_l. Finally, it addresses a strange equation that arises and offers an alternative method for finding V on the z-axis.
Tony Hau
Homework Statement
A sphereical shell of radius ##R## carries a uniform surface charge ##\sigma_o## on the northern hemisphere and a uniform surface charge ##-\sigma_o## on the southern hemisphere. Find the potential inside and outside the sphere.
Relevant Equations
##V(r,\theta)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}(A_lr^l+\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l(cos\theta)##
Here is what the solution says:

As usual, quote the general potential formula: $$V(r,\theta)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}(A_lr^l+\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}})P_l(cos\theta)$$

The potential outside the sphere is: $$V(r,{\theta})=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}P_l(cos\theta)$$, which makes sense to me.

The potential at z-axis is: $$V(r,{\theta})=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}P_l(cos\theta)$$ because ##P_l(cos\theta) = 1## for all ##l##s.

However, here comes a strange equation: $$V(r,\theta)=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_o}(\sqrt{r^2+R^2}-r)$$ along the z-axis.

I think this equation may come from the Gauss's law: ##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac {Q_{total}}{\epsilon_o}##. I set the Gaussian's surface to enclose the whole hemisphere. As the charged surface emits a uniform E field outside and inside, the equation becomes ##E\int 2d A = \frac {Q_{total}}{\epsilon_o}##, where ##A = 2\pi R^2##. Obviously this is not the correct idea. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the boundary conditions for continuity of potential across surface and discontinuity of electric fields across surface to solve for A and B!

The reason Gauss theorem won't work here is that problem does not possesses spherical Symmetry but Cylindrical symmetry!

Also ##P_l(1)=1## for all l!

Likes vanhees71 and Tony Hau
Since the charge distribution changes sign for ##z<0##, the potential must also do so, i.e. ##V(x,y,-z)=-V(x,y,z).## This means that you can toss out some Legendre polynomials. Which ones? Hint: ##z=r\cos\theta.##

Likes Abhishek11235, vanhees71 and Tony Hau
kuruman said:
Since the charge distribution changes sign for ##z<0##, the potential must also do so, i.e. ##V(x,y,-z)=-V(x,y,z).## This means that you can toss out some Legendre polynomials. Which ones? Hint: ##z=r\cos\theta.##
This is hard but I will make a guess. I think for even numbers of ##l## the Legendre polynomials are tossed.

The ##V_{out}## is given by: $$\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}P_l(cos\theta)$$

For the first few ##l##s, $$\frac{B_1}{r^2} + \frac{B_2}{r^3}cos\theta + \frac{B_3}{r^4}\frac{3cos^2\theta-1}{2} + \frac{B_4}{r^5}\frac{5cos^3\theta-3cos\theta}{2} \dots = \frac{B_1}{r^2} - \frac{B_2}{r^3}cos\theta + \frac{B_3}{r^4}\frac{3cos^2\theta-1}{2} -\frac{B_4}{r^5}\frac{5cos^3\theta-3cos\theta}{2} \dots$$ because ##-z=-rcos\theta## and ##V(x,y,-z)=-V(x,y,z)##.

For this boundary condition, the sum of all even numbers of ##l## of the Legendre polynomials is 0.

Tony Hau said:
For this boundary condition, all even numbers of the Legendre polynomials are canceled on both sides.
Yes.

Likes Tony Hau
Tony Hau said:
The potential at z-axis is: $$V(r,{\theta})=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}P_l(cos\theta)$$ because ##P_l(cos\theta) = 1## for all ##l##s.
So, on the z-axis you may write $$V(r)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}$$
However, here comes a strange equation: $$V(r,\theta)=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_o}(\sqrt{r^2+R^2}-r)$$ along the z-axis.
To find V on the z-axis, you can break up the charge distribution into rings with the z-axis as the axis of the rings. The potential on the axis of a uniformly charged ring is easy to find. Integrating over the rings will give the total potential at points on the z-axis. However, I get a somewhat different result. I find $$V(r)=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_o}\frac{R}{r}(\sqrt{r^2+R^2}-r)$$ on the z-axis for ##r>R##.

The reason for finding ##V## on the z-axis is that it gives you a way to find the coefficients ##B_l##. If you expand the expression for ##V(r)## on the z-axis as a power series in ##1/r##, you can compare it to ##V(r)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \large \frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}## and identify the ##B_l##.

Likes Tony Hau
TSny said:
So, on the z-axis you may write $$V(r)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty}\frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}$$
To find V on the z-axis, you can break up the charge distribution into rings with the z-axis as the axis of the rings. The potential on the axis of a uniformly charged ring is easy to find. Integrating over the rings will give the total potential at points on the z-axis. However, I get a somewhat different result. I find $$V(r)=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_o}\frac{R}{r}(\sqrt{r^2+R^2}-r)$$ on the z-axis for ##r>R##.

The reason for finding ##V## on the z-axis is that it gives you a way to find the coefficients ##B_l##. If you expand the expression for ##V(r)## on the z-axis as a power series in ##1/r##, you can compare it to ##V(r)=\sum_{l=0}^{\infty} \large \frac{B_l}{r^{l+1}}## and identify the ##B_l##.
Nice explanation!

1. What is the potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities?

The potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at any point on the surface of the sphere. It is determined by the distribution of positive and negative charges on the two hemispheres of the sphere.

2. How is the potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities calculated?

The potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities can be calculated using the formula V = k(Q/R), where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the significance of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities?

A sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities is significant because it demonstrates the concept of electric potential and how it is affected by the distribution of charges. It also has practical applications in the design of capacitors and other electronic devices.

4. How does the potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities change with distance?

The potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities decreases with distance from the center of the sphere. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a decrease in potential.

5. Can the potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities be negative?

Yes, the potential of a sphere with opposite hemisphere charge densities can be negative. This occurs when the negative charges on one hemisphere outweigh the positive charges on the other hemisphere, resulting in a net negative charge on the sphere.