Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The probability of an electric car charging station being available

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

I'm just wondering if anybody would know of a way of determining the probability of an event.

I trying to figure out how I could calculate the probability of a charging station for an electric car being available when a person arrives at their destination.

I have the travel data for cars in terms of the number of journeys, journey start and end times and dates etc.

Say there is 50,000 charging stations in a country also.

Is there anyway of working out a rough estimate of this?

Thank you

John

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2
    Sure you could say you want the probably that you will be in one mile of one and they are eventually distributed across the Continental united states there are 3,119,884.69 square miles and there are 39300 square miles that are within 1 mile of a charging station so the probability of a charging station being within 1 mile is 0.0125966%

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook