The probability of an electron being found in a certain region - probably easy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jeebs
Messages
314
Reaction score
5
the hydrogen ground state has the following wavefunction

[tex]\psi[/tex](r,[tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex](\frac{1}{a^3^/^2\sqrt{\pi}})e^-^r^/^a[/tex]

where a is the bohr radius a = 5.29x10-11m
I have to calculate the probability of finding the electron within the nucleus (radius R = 10-15m), and I am given an identity:

[tex]\int x^2e^-^xdx = b^3/3[/tex] when this integral is evaluated between 0 and b.


I know that the probability is given by P(r) = [tex]\int |\psi|^2 dV[/tex] = [tex]\int |\psi|^2 4\pi r^2dr[/tex] evaluating between 0 and R.

so when I put [tex]\psi[/tex] into the probability equation, I get

P(r) = [tex](4/a^3)\int r^2 e^-^2^r^/^a dr[/tex] and I then try to use that identity, by making the substitution that x=kr (where k = 2/a)
so that dx = kdr and x2 = (kr)2

which gives me [tex]k^3\int r^2 e^-^k^r dr = R^3/3[/tex]

which yields P(r) = [tex](4/a^3)\int r^2 e^-^k^r dr = (4/a^3)R^3/3k^3[/tex] which has units of m3.

clearly I am going wrong because I am getting units of volume. this is frustrating me now, where am I going wrong?

thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
i think u used the wrong substitution...
your integral isn't of the same form as that given in the hint.

try [itex]y=\frac{2r}{a}[/itex]. hopefully that will help.
 
even with your substitution this still gives me units of m3...