1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The probability that one 3 foot section of wire is defective is 0.002.

1. Oct 23, 2011 #1
    The probability that one 3 foot section of wire is defective is 0.002. If someone has 450 feet of wire then what is the probability they will have 3 or more 3 feet sections that are defective?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Probability

What have you tried?

4. Oct 23, 2011 #3

cmb

I'm getting the feeling that there isn't enough information here. I think the term "probability that one 3 foot section of wire is defective is 0.002" could be interpreted in a number of ways.

5. Oct 23, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree it is pretty ambiguous. But one could assume we are talking about dividing the wire into 150 separate 3 foot sections and interpret it that way just to have something to talk about.

6. Oct 23, 2011 #5

That is exactly what I think. At first I thought that X~Pois(λ) and that P(X=1)=0.002. But finding λ seems impossible and even the values you find do not make any sense.

7. Oct 23, 2011 #6

Perhaps X~Bin(150, 0.002).

8. Oct 23, 2011 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's what I would try (making an independence assumption).

9. Oct 24, 2011 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you have a large N, small p version of the binomial, with m = N*p "moderate", so I think a Poisson approximation should be very good, indeed.

RGV

10. Oct 25, 2011 #9

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook