The property of spheres that gravity acts on the shape as one component?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Sirloin
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm wondering if there's a term for the property of spheres that makes gravity pull equally on all aspects of the sphere's mass.

The wording for what I'm asking is tricky, so I'll give an example of a shape that wouldn't have this property, a long prism. If you drop a long prism on an angle (like this: / ), then the side of the prism closest to the ground will hit the ground first, bounce up if the material has good elastic potential, then the side further from the ground will continue toward the ground. The prism has two components of gravity pulling on it, one for each end. And a sphere has gravity pulling on it as just a whole, essentially.

Is there a term for this property? Or at least a not-so-wordy way of describing it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org