The radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with a problem and being advised to show their attempts at solving it. They mention the concepts of similarity of triangles and trigonometric functions, and someone suggests using similar triangles to solve the problem. The person asking for help clarifies that it is not a school homework and simply a problem they are stuck on.
eXmag
jg1qaf.jpg

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could help me solve this problem. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been taught the concept of similarity of triangles and/or pythagorean theorem or the definition of trigonometric functions? In any case you should show us any attempts you ve made.

It looks trivial. cos(x)=B/E, sin(x)=r/B. [itex](r/B)^2+(B/E)^2=1,r=B\sqrt{1-(B/E)^2}[/itex]

Homework in the wrong forum and without the template or attempts at work done should be reported only.

This isn't school homework which is why I didn't post it here in the first place. Its a problem that I've encountered and was asking for help as I have no idea how to solve it. That's it.

Thanks for your help mathman, your reply is all I was looking for.

you can do this problem by thinking about similar triangles. Have a go at it, think for a bit about the angles of various triangles. If two triangles contain the same angles, then they are similar.

1. What is the formula for finding the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles?

The formula for finding the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles is r = (abc) / (4√(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c))), where a, b, and c are the side lengths of the triangles and s is the semi-perimeter of the triangles.

2. How is the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles related to the side lengths of the triangles?

The radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles is inversely proportional to the side lengths of the triangles. This means that as the side lengths of the triangles increase, the radius of the inscribed circle decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles be greater than or equal to the side lengths of the triangles?

No, the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles can never be greater than or equal to the side lengths of the triangles. This is because the radius is always equal to half the length of the shortest side of the inscribed triangle.

4. What is the significance of the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles?

The radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles is significant because it can help determine the properties of the triangles, such as their angles and lengths. It can also be used to find the area of the inscribed circle, which is useful in many geometrical calculations.

5. How is the concept of the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles applicable in real life?

The concept of the radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles is applicable in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and design. It is used to create precise and symmetrical structures, as well as to calculate the measurements of circular objects, such as wheels and gears.