1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The radius of a circle inscribed in 2 triangles

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    jg1qaf.jpg
    Hi guys, was wondering if anyone could help me solve this problem. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

Delta²

Gold Member

Have you been taught the concept of similarity of triangles and/or pythagorean theorem or the definition of trigonometric functions? In any case you should show us any attempts you ve made.

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks trivial. cos(x)=B/E, sin(x)=r/B. [itex](r/B)^2+(B/E)^2=1,r=B\sqrt{1-(B/E)^2}[/itex]

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Homework in the wrong forum and without the template or attempts at work done should be reported only.

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5
    This isn't school homework which is why I didn't post it here in the first place. Its a problem that I've encountered and was asking for help as I have no idea how to solve it. That's it.

7. Apr 14, 2015 #6
    Thanks for your help mathman, your reply is all I was looking for.

8. Apr 15, 2015 #7

BruceW

Homework Helper

you can do this problem by thinking about similar triangles. Have a go at it, think for a bit about the angles of various triangles. If two triangles contain the same angles, then they are similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted