The Relation Between Wavefunctions in Dirac Equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing the representation of the wave function in four dimensions, particularly in relation to the free Schrödinger equation. The general plane-wave solution is given, but it is not a pure state of the particle. The conversation also touches on the Dirac equation for the free particle and its solutions, as well as the modern treatment of relativistic quantum theory in terms of quantum field theory. The conversation ends with a discussion on the interpretation of the terms in a bi-spinor without invoking quantum field theory.
Bob Dylan
Can the wave function in four dimensions be expressed as e^i(kx+ky+kz-wt)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is (nearly) the plane-wave solution for the free Schrödinger equation. The general plane-wave solution is (using natural units ##\hbar=1##)
$$u_{\vec{k}}(t,\vec{x})=\frac{1}{(2 \pi)^{3/2}} \exp[-\mathrm{i}(\omega t-\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x})], \quad \omega=\frac{\vec{k}^2}{2m}.$$
It's not representing a pure state of the particle since it's not a square-integrable function, but you can build any true wave-function solution for a free particle via an integral
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{k} A(\vec{k}) u_{\vec{p}}(t,\vec{x}).$$
The function ##A(\vec{p})## is given by the initial condition ##\psi(t=0,\vec{x})=\psi_0(\vec{x})##, via the inverse Fourier transformation
$$A(\vec{p})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{k} u_{\vec{k}}^*(t=0,\vec{x}) \psi_0(\vec{x}).$$

Likes Bob Dylan and dextercioby
Alright, thank you. That's helpful.

The Dirac equation for the free particle is solved in many books, I would recommend Albert Messiah's classic from 1962 (English Translation), second volume.

Note however that in relativistic QT, you cannot make sense of the wave function in "1st quantization" as is no problem in non-relativistic physics. The reason is that relativistic QT of interacting particles is automatically a many-body theory with a non-fixed particle number. Old-fashioned books which treat realtivistic wave mechanics as it's successful in the non-relativsitic case for the Schrödinger or Pauli equations, waste your time. The modern treatment of relativistic QT is in terms of QFT, which makes everything much simpler and clearer than the hand-waving 1st-quantization approach which leads to a very cumbersome reinterpretation in terms of Dirac's hole theory, which indeed can be formulated to the end for QED, but it's very cumbersome, and formulating QED (let alone the non-Abelian gauge theory of the rest of the standard model) as a QFT is much more transparent.

Likes Bob Dylan
I have been looking at some of the solutions to the Dirac equation and although I understand how the resulting spinors are obtained, i.e. via the matrix multiplication etc., I am however perplexed by what they represent physically. E.g. an up-spin 'particle' spinor can take the form ( 1, 0, p/(E+m), 0)T or something similar. However, what does the momentum - energy term p/(E+m) actually mean when contained in a spinor? Surely its not a probability coefficient of any kind?

It's just the bispinor-valued coefficient of a plane-wave mode of the Dirac equation. When quantizing the field it occurs in the mode deomposition of the Dirac-field operator,
$$\hat{\psi}(t,x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} {\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p}}{(2 \pi)^3} \sum_{\sigma= \pm 1/2} [\hat{a}(\vec{p},\sigma) u_{\vec{p},\sigma} \exp(-\mathrm{i} x \cdot p) + \hat{b}^{\dagger}(\vec{p},\sigma) v_{\vec{p},\sigma} \exp(+\mathrm{i} x \cdot p)]_{p^0=+\sqrt{\vec{p}^2+m^2}}.$$
Here I assumed that the spinors are normalized as
$$\sum_{\sigma=\pm 1/2} u_{\vec{p},\sigma} \bar{u}_{\vec{p},\sigma}=\gamma_{\mu} p^{\mu} +m,$$
$$\sum_{\sigma=\pm 1/2} v_{\vec{p},\sigma} \bar{v}_{\vec{p},\sigma}=\gamma_{\mu} p^{\mu} -m,$$
and then creation and annihilation operators obey the anticommutator relations
$$\{\hat{a}_{\vec{p},\sigma},\hat{a}^{\dagger}_{\vec{p}',\sigma'} \} = \{\hat{b}_{\vec{p},\sigma},\hat{b}^{\dagger}_{\vec{p}',\sigma'} \}=(2 \pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\vec{p}-\vec{p}') \delta_{\sigma \sigma'}$$
with all other combinations in the anticommutators vanishing.

The ##\hat{a}_{\vec{p},\sigma}## (##\hat{b}_{\vec{p},\sigma}##) annihilate a particle (antiparticle) of momentum ##\vec{p}## with the spin-##z## component being ##\sigma## in its rest frame.

Thank you Vanhees, I am familiar with the expressions above; the first being the Fourier expansion in terms of the annihilation and creation operators for particles and antiparticles. The second, normalization expressions giving the roots of the K.G Equation. However, your answer is purely mathematical. I still don't get what it means Physically for a bi-spinor to contain the p/(E+p) terms. For example, without evoking Q.F.T., how would Dirac have interpreted these terms?

IAN 25 said:
Thank you Vanhees, I am familiar with the expressions above; the first being the Fourier expansion in terms of the annihilation and creation operators for particles and antiparticles. The second, normalization expressions giving the roots of the K.G Equation. However, your answer is purely mathematical. I still don't get what it means Physically for a bi-spinor to contain the p/(E+p) terms. For example, without evoking Q.F.T., how would Dirac have interpreted these terms?

I don't know if $$p/(E+m)$$ has some particular physical meaning. Exactly, how your spinor look like depends on your chosen normalization and also on the adopted representation of the gamma matrices. Different representation can be more or less convenient for particular applications. The one you refer to is for example convenient then one wants to an expansion in $$p/m$$, i.e. a non-relativistic reduction.

Okay, thank you very much for that.

Well, there is some physics meaning in the ##u##'s and ##v##'s. The point is that spin is not as simple in relativistic as in non-relativistic physics. The reason is the structure of the Poincare group in comparison to the Galileo group. In relativistic physics, for massive particles, the usual meaning of the spin is defined in the restframe of the particle, i.e., it defines how the zero-momentum single-particle states transform under rotations. In the case of Dirac particles, that's of course the ##\mathrm{SU}(2)## fundamental representation, SU(2) being the covering group of the "classical rotation group", which mathematically is SO(3). So if you say, an electron has a certain spin-##z## component ##m \in \{1/2,-1/2\}##, it refers to the component of the total angular momentum in the restframe of the electron. Then you get the states for non-zero momentum by applying the boosts in the considered representation, which in the case of Dirac particles is ##(1/2,0) \oplus (0,1/2)##, which is an irreducible representation for the orthochronous Lorentz group but a reducible representation of the proper orthochronous Lorentz group. The reason is that you want a field with spin 1/2 which leads to a representation of the Poincare group that also admits spatial reflections. The two components referring to the irreducible reps. of the proper orthochronous group are Weyl or chiral fermions. This becomes important for the treatment of the weak interaction in the Standard Model, where the left-handed parts of fermions and quarks are isodoublets but the right-handed parts singulets, i.e., the weak interaction only couples to the left-handed parts of the Dirac particles in the Standard model (and for the quarks also to the flavor rather than the mass eigenstates).

For details on the representation theory of the Poincare group, see Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. 1 or Appendix B of my notes:

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to me. I can understand some of that but I will read further as you suggest. Thank you.

What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic quantum mechanical equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

What is the relation between wavefunctions in the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation relates two wavefunctions, known as the spinor wavefunctions, which describe the quantum state of a particle. These wavefunctions are complex-valued and have both a positive and negative energy component.

What is the significance of the Dirac equation in physics?

The Dirac equation is significant because it incorporates both special relativity and quantum mechanics, providing a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles. It also predicted the existence of antimatter, which was later confirmed experimentally.

How does the Dirac equation differ from the Schrödinger equation?

The Dirac equation is a more general and complex form of the Schrödinger equation. It includes the effects of relativity and spin, while the Schrödinger equation only applies to non-relativistic particles with no spin.

What practical applications does the Dirac equation have?

The Dirac equation has been used to develop theories and models in various fields of physics, including quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. It has also been instrumental in the development of technologies such as transistors and semiconductors.