1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The resistance of a wire (conductor) in cylindrical form is:

Tags:
  1. Jan 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The resistance of a wire (conductor) in cylindrical form is:
    A Disproportional with the length of the wire (conductor)
    B Disproportional with the square of the wire (conductor) section
    C Proportional with the square of the length of the wire (conductor)
    D Proportional with the length of the wire (conductor)

2. Relevant equations
    R=constant*length/Surface of the section

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the answer is D because from the equation of the resistance, but in my book the answer is B

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Assuming that "Disproportional" is a translation of "Inversely proportional", and "section" means the cross section diameter, then both B and D seem to be correct.

4. Jan 21, 2016 #3
    Can you explain me why is B correct?

5. Jan 21, 2016 #4

gneill

The cross sectional area of a cylinder is proportional to the square of the diameter: ##A = \pi \left( \frac{D}{2} \right)^2##.

So the resistance should be inversely proportional to ("disproportional" to ) the square of D.

6. Jan 21, 2016 #5
    But it says inversely proportional to the square of section, to the A, not to the diametre.

7. Jan 21, 2016 #6

gneill

I think it's a matter of a translation issue. I interpreted "section" to be "diameter" rather than "cross sectional area". I could be wrong in this interpretation.

If "section" means "area" then B is not correct, and only D would make sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted