The self is not physical, but symbolic

In summary: Interested?In summary, symbols hold a great deal of meaning for us, depending on the relationship we have with the concept. When we are children, playing with objects helps us develop cognitive capacities such as grouping, ordering, pairing, memory, exhaustion-detection, cardinal-number assignment, and independent order. When we go to school, the teacher relies upon our past experiences to help us understand arithmetic. Concepts, such as symbols, grow in complexity and size as we pass through life. Some people may "go bananas" when the flag is burned, due to their emotional connection to the symbol.
coberst

What are symbols and why are symbols meaningful to me? One answer might be “the self is not physical, it is symbolic”—Becker.

Mathematics is, I think, a useful means to start an effort for comprehending the nature of symbols.

Mathematical concepts are referred to by symbols, both written and audible. Eighty-five or quatre-vingt-cinq references the same concept as does 85. Common mathematical symbols such as 0, 1, i, pi and e are meaningful because we have become familiar with the concepts that they symbolize when we have studied mathematics in school. Our schools and colleges are interested primarily in helping us use these symbols as an algorithmic means for solving mathematical problems.

I am a retired engineer and I worked constantly for four years in college learning how to do math. Doing math is very important to engineers, understanding math is of little consequence to an engineer’s job performance. I suspect most engineers would be somewhat dumbfounded if they were to be asked ‘do your understand mathematics’.

The degree of meaning that these symbols hold for each of us is dependent upon the relationship we have with the concept. Almost all of us will find that the symbols 1, 2, 3, and 4 are meaningful even before we go to school. Those who have studied math in grade school and high school will find that the other symbols mentioned have a meaning of some dimension.

L&N, Lakoff and Nunez, co-authors of “Where Mathematics Comes From”, tell us that “to comprehend a mathematical symbol is to associate it with a concept—something meaningful in human cognition that is ultimately grounded in experience and created via neural mechanisms.”

At birth an infant has a minimal innate arithmetic ability. This ability to add and subtract small numbers is called subitizing. (I am speaking of a cardinal number—a number that specifies how many objects there are in a collection, don’t confuse this with numeral—a symbol). Many animals display this subitizing ability.

In addition to subitizing the child, while playing with objects, develops other cognitive capacities such as grouping, ordering, pairing, memory, exhaustion-detection, cardinal-number assignment, and independent order.

When a child goes to school the teacher depends upon all of these past experiences as prerequisites for a child to readily comprehend arithmetic.

It is our experience in the world that eventually gives symbols significance. As we get older we travel far from these original experiences that give our world of symbols their meaning. We are constantly adding new worldly experiences to augment this meaning we attach to symbols. I suspect that if we could examine closely one of our concepts of a particular symbol we would find that concept to be as complex and convoluted as is our DNA. If we could trace the historical sequences of the structuring of a particular concept it might be as instructive as is a similar examination of our DNA.

Concepts, i.e. symbols, i.e. abstract ideas, are like a gigantic chemical molecule that continues to grow in size and in complexity as we pass through life. The symbol gains grounding from our experiences but the concept also has a great deal that result from our imagination. I think we might say that a symbol is an abstract idea created by experience and imagination, which becomes a significant meaning in our life.

If such is the case can you comprehend why some people might ‘go bananas’ when the flag is burned?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi coberst,
I am a retired engineer …
Congrats on the retirement. Hope you’re enjoying life. Good to see other engineers on here. I’ve been engineer for 20 years now, so perhaps we share some background.

What are symbols and why are symbols meaningful to me? One answer might be “the self is not physical, it is symbolic”—Becker.
You may be interested in the “symbol grounding problem”. Wiki has a decent synopsis here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_grounding

I believe Stevan Harnad is the originator of the symbol grounding problem. I’ve discussed this with him and have to agree he’s put his finger on a serious issue. My impression is that the concept doesn’t get the attention it deserves due to the line of thinking that you’ve provided above.

Once you read through the Wiki article, I’d suggest reading over Harnad’s most recent paper on this here: http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Temp/symgro.htm

Harnad’s other publications can be found online here: http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/genpub.html

Q

I have only glanced at your references, so far, but I think they are great. I shall study them. Thanks.

You evidently have an interest in such things. Is this part of your engineering project or is this what I call disinterested knowledge?

Hi coberst,
I'm working on a paper that I'm hoping to publish. The symbol grounding problem is related to it.

1. What does it mean for the self to be symbolic?

When we say that the self is symbolic, it means that our sense of self, our understanding of who we are, is not based on physical attributes or characteristics, but rather on symbolic representations and meanings that we attach to ourselves.

2. How is the self different from the physical body?

The self is different from the physical body in that it is not limited to our physical appearance or abilities. While our bodies may change and deteriorate over time, our sense of self remains constant and is shaped by our experiences, beliefs, and relationships.

3. Can the self be measured or observed scientifically?

No, the self cannot be measured or observed in the same way that physical objects can. It is a concept that is unique and personal to each individual, and therefore cannot be quantified or studied in a scientific manner.

4. How does the concept of the self impact psychology and mental health?

The concept of the self is central to psychology and mental health, as it influences our thoughts, behaviors, and emotions. Understanding and exploring one's sense of self is often a key aspect of therapy and can help individuals improve their overall well-being.

5. Can the idea of a symbolic self be applied to other aspects of life?

Yes, the idea of a symbolic self can be applied to various aspects of life, such as culture, religion, and relationships. It highlights the importance of the meanings and symbols we attach to these aspects, and how they shape our identities and understanding of the world.