1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The set of convergent subsequences

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1

zbr

Hello all,

(*) I have a question about convergent subsequences. Specifically I am looking for an example of a sequence that is unbounded but who has convergent subsequences in the interval [0,1].

A similar question would be to have an unbounded sequence, but who has a convergent subsequence to a specific number, let's say 0.

For this I would take the sequence:
    a_n = -1,0,1,-2,0,2,-3,0,3,...,-n,0,n

Can I do a similar thing for (*)? i.e Can I take the following sequence:

a_n = -1, [0,1], 1, -2, [0,1], 2,...,-n, [0,1], n

My intuition tell me no since there will be infinite terms in each of the intervals [0,1].

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can arrange all of the rational number in [0,1] into a sequence, right? Now throw some extra numbers in to make it unbounded, just like you did for the zero sequence.

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3

zbr

Ah, yes of coarse, set sequence 1, 1/2, 1/4, 3/4, 1/8, 3/8, 5/8, 7/8, 1/16, ... would satisfy the sequence with convergent subsequences within the interval [0,1], then just throwing in divergent terms would satisfy the second requirement.

Thanks so much for your help Dick!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook