The sign of terms in a characteristic equation of a PDE

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a partial differential equation using the method of characteristics and finding discrepancies between the suggested solution in the text and the one obtained through the method. It is suggested that this could be due to linearity in the equation and the possibility of obtaining multiple solutions through linear combinations. It is advised to verify the obtained solution by differentiating it and ensuring it satisfies the differential equation.
Emspak
This was something I noticed as I was trying to practice solving PDEs using the method of characteristics.

The text has the following example: $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + x \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} = 0$$

This should be easy enough. I let [itex]p(x,y) = x[/itex] and solve for [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/itex]. When I do that I get: $$\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + x \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} =0 \Rightarrow \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} =- x \frac{\partial u}{\partial y} \Rightarrow \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}\frac{\partial y}{\partial u} = -x \frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial u} \Rightarrow \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = -x$$

This should be easy enough from there, I would have [itex]\int \partial y= - x \partial x \Rightarrow y=-\frac{1}{2}x^2+ C[/itex] and [itex]y+\frac{1}{2}x^2 = C[/itex] so [itex]u(x,y) = y+\frac{1}{2}x^2[/itex]. General solution is [itex]f(y+\frac{1}{2}x^2)[/itex] where f is an arbitrary function.

SO what's the problem? The text says that [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=x[/itex] not [itex]-x[/itex]. Anyone know what's up? I have consistently found that the my HW solutions and text say this should be a different sign than what i get when I just solve for [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/itex]. What am I missing? I figure its probably something simple enough.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not precisely sure where you're going wrong (if anywhere), but for this particular problem (and probably the majority of others you've solved) this might be attributed to linearity. Remember that, for linear differential equations, if you have two solutions of the differential equation u and v then any linear combination of these two solutions will also be a solution.

That is, u + v is also a solution, as is ##\alpha u## for constant ##\alpha##.

You can always verify your solution by differentiating it and making sure it satisfies the differential equation.

What is the sign of terms in a characteristic equation of a PDE?

The sign of terms in a characteristic equation of a PDE depends on the type of PDE and its boundary conditions. The characteristic equation is used to determine the behavior of solutions to the PDE and can have positive, negative, or zero terms.

How do positive terms affect the characteristic equation of a PDE?

Positive terms in a characteristic equation indicate that the solutions to the PDE will behave in a certain way. For example, positive terms in an elliptic PDE's characteristic equation indicate that the solutions will oscillate or approach a constant value.

What does a negative term in a characteristic equation of a PDE signify?

A negative term in a characteristic equation can indicate that the solutions to the PDE will decay or blow up. This can depend on the specific PDE and its boundary conditions.

How do boundary conditions affect the sign of terms in the characteristic equation of a PDE?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the sign of terms in a characteristic equation. They can restrict the behavior of solutions and can affect the positivity or negativity of terms in the characteristic equation.

Can the sign of terms in a characteristic equation change as the PDE's boundary conditions are varied?

Yes, the sign of terms in a characteristic equation can change as the boundary conditions of a PDE are varied. This can result in different types of solutions and behaviors for the PDE.