Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Sith is coming, and it's a

1. May 6, 2005 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The "Sith" is coming, and it's a...

GREAT FILM by all accounts so far.
    I've only seen the first reviews at rottentomatoes.com, but they are all glowing.
    And surprise, surprise, here's what one critic has to say about a certain male's acting performance:
    Eh, hello?
    Hayden Christensen an actor?
    That's really good news..:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I am psyched about this movie. I wasn't too terribly excited about the last two, but I am anxious to see this one. The trailers I have seen look very good. Lucas' own admission that this movie "is not be for the kids" is also a great endorsement. This is the only one that is getting a PG-13 rating. It's going to be such a downer, yet such a good one at the same time (I hope).

4. May 6, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The one thing I thought worked splendidly in 1&2 was Ian McDiarmid's performance as Palpatine. This is the movie of Palpatine's great triumph, and the trailers show that McDiarmid is, if anything, even better in this movie.

It is a very pleasant surprise to me that Hayden Christensen seems capable enough to handle the difficult task he has in this movie.

5. May 6, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The one thing I wish they would have gone into a bit more, and perhaps they do it in this movie, is why the Jedi became so weak. They never really go into it except to say that the dark side was hiding everything. Oh well.

Perhaps the money Hayden Chrisensen made from EPII paid for some acting classes.

6. May 6, 2005 #5

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Some of the theories I have seen being tossed around speak to the balance of power in the force being like a pendulum or a see-saw. The good have had their time and now with the appearance of the Sith, the power is shifting to the dark side and it will dominate for Episodes 3.5, 4, 5 and part of 6. It is said numerous times that Vader is the one to "bring balance to the force", perhaps this is a nod to him playing both sides througout the entire six movies- good little Annie, teen-angst Anakin, evil Vader, restored father Anakin.

Edit: I am, also, really looking forward to a (hopefully) better movie than the previous two.

7. May 6, 2005 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I've had the EP 4, 5 and 6 on DVD for a while, but never watched them. Did you guys know that they went back and put Hayden Chrisensen in at the end of EP6 where Luke sees Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin (during the celebration)? That was a surprise to me. It helped tie things together I think.

Doc, I had never heard that. It makes sense, but I can't say I have ever heard that from any of the movies.

8. May 6, 2005 #7
    has anyone got their tickets? i've got mine for the 12:01 may 19 show!

9. May 6, 2005 #8

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

It comes more from the fan base and discussions held therein, not directly from the movies. Plus, in addition to the movies, there are numerous books, video games, cartoons and other media that greatly extend the world of Star Wars and in many cases issues that are skimmed over in the movies are covered more deeply here.

10. May 6, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Lucky you!
    I haven't yet checked if there are still tickets to be gotten to May 19. here in Norway, but somehow, I doubt it..

11. May 6, 2005 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

As excited as I am about the movie, I think I'll still wait a couple of days to let some of the hysteria die down. The last episode I saw late opening night and got stuck in front of a couple of geeks that insisted on talking and critiquing during the entire movie.

12. May 6, 2005 #11

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I'm going to give it a couple of days too. Hopefully things will have died down by the weekend. Still, I can't wait!

13. May 6, 2005 #12
    this will probably be the biggest movie release ever :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?