Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sum over primes involving powers of 10

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1
    recently i saw on a book (Apostol Analytic Number theory if i am not wrong) the prime calculating expression [tex] \sum_{p} 10^{-p}=S [/tex]

where the sum was extended to all the prime numbers, if i am right

[tex] S=0.2003000500007............. [/tex]

so knowing the value of 'S' you could get the primes, hence here is my questions if we knew an 'accelerating' process for the series above in a similar way to Euler transformation or Euler-Laurin sum formula, could we get an efficient algorithm to calculate primes?.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Your value for S seems to be a bit troubled >.< The only digits one should see are 1's and 0's. I get around [itex]0.0110101000101001[/itex]. And no, it wouldn't be as efficient as other methods such as the Prime Number Theorem, and thats not great either but that says that [itex]p_n[/itex]~[itex] n \log_e n[/itex] where p_n denotes the nth prime number.

4. Jul 20, 2007 #3
    Usually these things are calculated from the primes, not the other way around. Which is to say that S can only be calculated to the extent we have already determined the primes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?