1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Sun, on average, is 93 million miles from Earth. How many meters is this?

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    The Sun, on average, is 93 million miles from Earth. How many meters is this? Express using powers of ten. Express your answer using two significant figures.

Okay so: Okay so, 1 Meter = 1609.344 x 93 = 149668.992
    1.5 x 10^5 (2 significant figures)

When I put 1.5x10^5 in, it says 'The correct answer does not depend on the variable: x10'

WHAT GIVES?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2
    Your answer is wrong anyway. I'm not sure the format whatever program you're using takes.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The trick to converting units is to multiply by one.
    For example, say you need to convert 3 feet to inches. You write 3 feet and multiply it by one, expressed to cancel the feet and leave inches. Since 1 foot = 12 inches, the expression 12 inches/1 foot is equal to 1.
    3 feet = 3 feet x 12 inches/(1 foot) = 36 inches

In your problem you need to multiply by 1 = 1.6 km/(1 mile) = 1600 m/(1 mile).
    You'll have to look up the number of km in a mile - 1.6 is only an estimate.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  5. Sep 2, 2012 #4
    I'm using MasteringPhysics.com. I'm totally confused now from what the dude above me said.

6. Sep 4, 2012 #5
    Guys I'm still having trouble. Can someone thoroughly explain this to me?

7. Sep 4, 2012 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's 93 miles expressed in meters. The question is asking for 93 million miles.

Just guessing, but try inputting numbers in 'e' format such as 1.5e5 (which is incorrect; see above) rather than 1.5x10^5.

You should have received some instructions on how to use whatever system you are using. Read those instructions.

8. Sep 4, 2012 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For info.. Google can sometimes help with conversions...

You just type in "convert X to Y " without the quotes... Examples..

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&scli...pw.r_qf.&fp=e2aed7b0584e5d53&biw=1060&bih=646

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&scli...pw.r_qf.&fp=e2aed7b0584e5d53&biw=1060&bih=646

Beware...

The question asks "Express using powers of ten. Express your answer using two significant figures."

Some units are ambiguous (for example US an UK gallons are different sizes) so google with care.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook