The symmetry argument and expectation value

In summary, the symmetry argument states that the eigenvalues of a symmetric Hamiltonian must have parity.
i_hate_math
In 1D QM:
I understand that if a given potential well, U(x), is symmetric about x = L, then the expectation value for operator [x] would be <x> = L. (I am not even entirely sure why this is, guessing that the region where x<L and x>L are equally probable)

Is it possible to draw conclusion about expectation values of other operators?
Heres one example:

Given ψ(x) = sin(nπx/2L) for a infinite potential well with barriers at x=0 and x=2L,
Using symmetry arguments or otherwise, explain why or show that the expectation value of the particle momentum in this infinite well is <p> = 0

I got <p> = 0 by applying the momentum operator [p]ψ and evaluated it at the point of symmetry x=L, which gave [p]ψ = 0 (at x=L). => <p> = ∫ψ*[p]ψ = 0

Is that correct? Could someone explain to me what really is the "symmetry argument"?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:
I understand that if a given potential well, U(x), is symmetric about x = L, then the expectation value for operator [x] would be <x> = L.
Only if the expectation value is evaluated with respect to a wavefunction with definite parity.
i_hate_math said:
I am not even entirely sure why this is, guessing that the region where x<L and x>L are equally probable
It's easiest to assume a symmetric potential centered around x=0. The action of symmetry (or parity) operator ##\Pi## on the operator x is defined by ##\Pi^\dagger x \Pi = -x##. If the potential is symmetric then the Hamiltonian commutes with ##\Pi## and thus the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian must also have a definite parity (since the momentum operator also obeys ##\Pi^\dagger p \Pi = -p##), that is it must be either symmetric or antisymmetric. With this information you can get two results when trying to calculate the quantity ##\langle u_n |\Pi^\dagger x \Pi | u_n\rangle##, where ##|u_n\rangle## is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian. One way using the definition of the action of parity operator on x you get
$$\langle u_n |\Pi^\dagger x \Pi | u_n\rangle = -\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle$$
The other way using the fact that ##\Pi |u_n\rangle = \pm |u_n\rangle## you get
$$ \langle u_n |\Pi^\dagger x \Pi | u_n\rangle = \langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle $$
So, in the end you find that ##\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle = -\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle## and there is only one solution namely ##\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle =0##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and i_hate_math
It's a purely classical situation. A symmetric physical situation implies a symmetric distribution of ##x##. Given a distribution ##f(x)##, the expectation is ##<x> = \int^\infty_{-\infty}x f(x)dx##. If ##f(x)## is symmetric about ##x=L##, put ##y = x-L## and split the integral about ##y=0##. Then ##f(x) = g(y) = g(-y)## and ##<y> = \int_0^\infty y g(y)dy - \int_0^\infty (-y)g(-y)d(-y) = 0## so ##<x> = <y> + L = L##.

(The QM identification of ##f(x)= |\psi(x)|^2## adds nothing of significance.)

Likes i_hate_math
As I understood it, it's about the expectation value of the position for an energy eigenstate. It's clear that you can in the described case you can use a basis with states of good parity, and then ##|u_n(x)|^2=u_n(-x)|^2##. So indeed, the assumption in the OP is only true, if you work with parity eigenstates (see #2).

Likes i_hate_math
blue_leaf77 said:
Only if the expectation value is evaluated with respect to a wavefunction with definite parity.

It's easiest to assume a symmetric potential centered around x=0. The action of symmetry (or parity) operator ##\Pi## on the operator x is defined by ##\Pi^\dagger x \Pi = -x##. If the potential is symmetric then the Hamiltonian commutes with ##\Pi## and thus the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian must also have a definite parity (since the momentum operator also obeys ##\Pi^\dagger p \Pi = -p##), that is it must be either symmetric or antisymmetric. With this information you can get two results when trying to calculate the quantity ##\langle u_n |\Pi^\dagger x \Pi | u_n\rangle##, where ##|u_n\rangle## is an eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian. One way using the definition of the action of parity operator on x you get
$$\langle u_n |\Pi^\dagger x \Pi | u_n\rangle = -\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle$$
The other way using the fact that ##\Pi |u_n\rangle = \pm |u_n\rangle## you get
$$ \langle u_n |\Pi^\dagger x \Pi | u_n\rangle = \langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle $$
So, in the end you find that ##\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle = -\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle## and there is only one solution namely ##\langle u_n | x | u_n\rangle =0##.

Thanks very much for your reply. I've not learned in great details parity and eigenstates, but I get the main idea.

mikeyork said:
It's a purely classical situation. A symmetric physical situation implies a symmetric distribution of ##x##. Given a distribution ##f(x)##, the expectation is ##<x> = \int^\infty_{-\infty}x f(x)dx##. If ##f(x)## is symmetric about ##x=L##, put ##y = x-L## and split the integral about ##y=0##. Then ##f(x) = g(y) = g(-y)## and ##<y> = \int_0^\infty y g(y)dy - \int_0^\infty (-y)g(-y)d(-y) = 0## so ##<x> = <y> + L = L##.

(The QM identification of ##f(x)= |\psi(x)|^2## adds nothing of significance.)
Thanks!

vanhees71 said:
As I understood it, it's about the expectation value of the position for an energy eigenstate. It's clear that you can in the described case you can use a basis with states of good parity, and then ##|u_n(x)|^2=u_n(-x)|^2##. So indeed, the assumption in the OP is only true, if you work with parity eigenstates (see #2).
Thanks!

1. What is the symmetry argument in science?

The symmetry argument is a logical approach used in science to explain the behavior of physical systems. It is based on the assumption that if a system exhibits a certain symmetry, then its properties and behavior will also exhibit that symmetry.

2. How does the symmetry argument relate to the expectation value?

The symmetry argument is often used to determine the expectation value of a physical quantity in a system. By considering the symmetry of the system, scientists can predict the average value of a certain property or behavior.

3. What is the importance of the symmetry argument in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the symmetry argument is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions. It helps in predicting the possible outcomes of experiments and determining the probability of a certain result.

4. Can the symmetry argument be applied to all physical systems?

While the symmetry argument is a powerful tool in many scientific fields, it may not be applicable to all physical systems. Some systems may exhibit complex or unpredictable behavior that cannot be explained solely by symmetry considerations.

5. How do scientists use the symmetry argument in their research?

Scientists use the symmetry argument in various ways, such as designing experiments, formulating theories, and making predictions. It is a fundamental principle in many branches of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.