The thought of death ever hit you?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
What about people who dont get burried... and are burned ect.

I was six at the time, and had no concept of the idea of burning a corpse.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
This would only work if you had absolute amnesia for all previous repetitions. If you had the vaguest recollection of the previous runs around the track you would hate every minute of it.
Actually I really don't think so. I thought about it, even if I'd remember every detail I wouldn't be bothered by the repetitions.. it was just too interesting :redface:

I agree generally that would be true, I'd hate going through childhood/highschool/college having memories of the previous runs. Oh no, I'd avoid going through that again :tongue2:

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know the song Hello from Evanescence? It's interesting.. I don't quite understand it completely, but here are the lyrics:

Playground school bell rings again
Rain clouds come to play again
Has no one told you she´s not breathing?
Hello, I'm your mind giving you
Someone to talk to
Hello

If I smile and don´t believe
Soon I know I´ll wake from this dream
Don´t try to fix me, I´m not broken
Hello, I'm the lie living for you so you can hide
Don´t cry

Suddenly I know I´m not sleeping
Hello, I´m still here
All that´s left of yesterday
I think it is about a girl that just died, she thinks she'll wake up again, they are trying to resuscitate her, to which she says she's not dead, suddenly she realizes she is dead and tries to tell the people she's still there.. the vocals are quite powerfull at the end..

Monique said:
Does anyone know the song Hello from Evanescence? It's interesting.. I don't quite understand it completely, but here are the lyrics:
Playground school bell rings again
Rain clouds come to play again
Has no one told you she´s not breathing?
Hello, I'm your mind giving you
Someone to talk to
Hello

If I smile and don´t believe
Soon I know I´ll wake from this dream
Don´t try to fix me, I´m not broken
Hello, I'm the lie living for you so you can hide
Don´t cry

Suddenly I know I´m not sleeping
Hello, I´m still here
All that´s left of yesterday
I think it is about a girl that just died, she thinks she'll wake up again, they are trying to resuscitate her, to which she says she's not dead, suddenly she realizes she is dead and tries to tell the people she's still there.. the vocals are quite powerfull at the end..
It sounds to me more like the person being sung to(the "you" from the song) believes that her friend is still alive. That would explain the lines "Hello, Im your mind giving you / someone to talk to" and "Hello, I'm the lie living for you so you can hide".

This means that we spend the rest of eternity confined in a casket, unknowingly conscious to people above us.
Does anyone here actually want that to happen?

I had recurring dreams of a long boat rowed by 20 very muscular men.
:yuck:

BoulderHead
Euphoriet said:
Do you ever visualize .. just dieing .. and nothing after.... you know... no rencarnation.. no after life... its just over.
Yes, I have. Not a lot to be said about the experience, even less the better you become at doing it.
...tranquil medicine, think I. :wink:

Euphoriet said:
Do you ever visualize .. just dieing .. and nothing after.... you know... no rencarnation.. no after life... its just over.
In short, yes.

Although I prefer to believe in a life after death, my fears of death are most certainly based on the idea that there isn't one. Therefore, subconsciously or consciously, I have visualized a death with no after-life based on my true fear of no longer existing.

Sure, some of us could fear that we are going to hell (or some other equivalent). But then again, going to heaven (or some other equivalent) doesn't exactly sound great either. Can you imagine living in a world where everything is perfect? Geez-- perfection sounds horrific in some ways.

I guess maybe, I have nothing to fear afterall...other than losing what I enjoy while being alive.

Raven said:
Therefore, subconsciously or consciously, I have visualized a death with no after-life based on my true fear of no longer existing.
People frequently envisage this to be something like sleeping with just the slightest amount of consciousness left to be aware of sone kind of long, boring stasis.

In fact, though, if there is no life after death, there will be absolutely no consciouness left to be aware of any "blankness" or lack of anything. No consciouness left to be aware of any loss.

To wonder about the experience of being dead if there is no afterlife is a contradiction.

Death, itself, is far less to be pondered about, or frightened of, than dying. A person with a terminal illness who has had some sort of short estimate placed on their remaining time is the most likely to fall into despair and depression, wasting, perhaps, the time they do have left, in ruminating about the fact it will soon be over.

Still being as alive as you can be, even knowing you'll probably be dead soon, is something that should be taught and encouraged, but which isn't.

There is a zen story about a monk who got chased off the edge of a cliff by a tiger. He happened to grab onto some roots growing from the cliff, which prevented him from falling instantly to his death, but as soon as he took stock of his situation he realised the roots were slowly giving way, and wouldn't hold him too much longer.

Suddenly he notices that growing from the cliff wall right in front of him, is a small strawberry plant with a beautiful strawberry on it. He picked it with his free hand and put it in his mouth. The last thought that ran through his mind before he died was: "That was the very best strawberry I have ever eaten."

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
zoobyshoe said:
In fact, though, if there is no life after death, there will be absolutely no consciouness left to be aware of any "blankness" or lack of anything. No consciouness left to be aware of any loss.
You state this as fact ? I'm sure there will be hordes of people waiting in line to disagree. Half the posters on this thread believe in the continued existence of consciousnes beyond death.

I could have sworn you were involved in the John Edwards (the psychic, not the guy with the thumbs) thread under Scep/Debunking...wasn't there something about a Prof. who conducted dubious experiments (the HBO series or something like that) with mediums and concluded that consciousness does live on.

Gokul43201 said:
You state this as fact ? I'm sure there will be hordes of people waiting in line to disagree. Half the posters on this thread believe in the continued existence of consciousnes beyond death.

I could have sworn you were involved in the John Edwards (the psychic, not the guy with the thumbs) thread under Scep/Debunking...wasn't there something about a Prof. who conducted dubious experiments (the HBO series or something like that) with mediums and concluded that consciousness does live on.
Gokul, you're just reading too fast. I said, "In fact, though, if there is no life...blah, blah, blah. It is an If-Then proposition, not an assertion of fact.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Damn, I am reading too fast. I don't believe I misread that :bugeye:

Need to slow down some...maybe get myself a margarita, or a nice big reefer and chill out, eh ?

Umm... conscisousness after death... what is consciousness anyways? Doesnt that require a brain? If for some reason you did get to stay conscious.... after a while you wouldn't be able to do that since your body would decay after a while.... unless there are other ways of staying conscious. I really dont see that as something that is possible.. I mean if there IS a heave or hell.. why havent scientist detected it... I mean.. where is it located. huh?... or maybe like I said in my other post.. hell and heaven and all the "souls" could be all the dark matter floating around in the universe.

Euphoriet said:
Umm... conscisousness after death... what is consciousness anyways? Doesnt that require a brain?
We don't understand brain. So we trash everything we don't understand in it. Why in brain ? Most men have conscience lying somewhere else anyway :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Well, what happens when your head gets cut off ? :surprise: :uhh: Your conscience does not stop instantaneously. Say the remnant conscience lasts a few seconds. Why should it only be in the head ?

Umm... conscisousness after death... what is consciousness anyways? Doesnt that require a brain? If for some reason you did get to stay conscious.... after a while you wouldn't be able to do that since your body would decay after a while.... unless there are other ways of staying conscious. I really dont see that as something that is possible.. I mean if there IS a heave or hell.. why havent scientist detected it... I mean.. where is it located. huh?... or maybe like I said in my other post.. hell and heaven and all the "souls" could be all the dark matter floating around in the universe.
Dude that stuff is consider to be in the "realm of the supernatural". Meaning it doesn't exist in the world that as we know it, according to some people.

Your conscience does not stop instantaneously. Say the remnant conscience lasts a few seconds. Why should it only be in the head ?
Well seeing that when people get hit in the head they have a awful habit of losing consciousness. :tongue2:

About consciousness after death: I don't think so. I don't believe in an afterlife, only ressurection.