Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: The three famous geometric construction problems

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    We're covering this in my History of Mathematics class. I'm not entirely sure what they're asking.

95.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is there some more context to this that you haven't shown? Are they slicing up a cone with circular sections that are perpendicular to the central axis of the cone?

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
  5. Sep 2, 2011 #4
    Any ideas?

6. Sep 2, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your image seems related to the problem, but the best source for clarification would probably be the instructor for the course.

7. Sep 2, 2011 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Shackleford! :smile:

It's talking about two sections of different circles but with the same shape (ie the same angles at the corners). :wink:

8. Sep 2, 2011 #7
    Hello, tiny-tim.

I emailed the professor. He said, "You need to show: the ratio of the areas of these two slices is equal to the ratio of the squares of their chords."

Is this correct?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110902_190701.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Sep 3, 2011 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry, can't read it :redface:

can you type it, please?​

EDIT: oh, and i think the question means a region with one straight side (the "chord"), not two straight sides meeting at the centre :redface:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  10. Sep 3, 2011 #9
    The picture enlarges. It's readable.

In each of the circles, I forgot to draw the chord. Is that what you're talking about?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook