1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The three famous geometric construction problems

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    We're covering this in my History of Mathematics class. I'm not entirely sure what they're asking.

95.png

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is there some more context to this that you haven't shown? Are they slicing up a cone with circular sections that are perpendicular to the central axis of the cone?

4. Aug 31, 2011 #3
  5. Sep 2, 2011 #4
    Any ideas?

6. Sep 2, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your image seems related to the problem, but the best source for clarification would probably be the instructor for the course.

7. Sep 2, 2011 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Shackleford! :smile:

It's talking about two sections of different circles but with the same shape (ie the same angles at the corners). :wink:

8. Sep 2, 2011 #7
    Hello, tiny-tim.

I emailed the professor. He said, "You need to show: the ratio of the areas of these two slices is equal to the ratio of the squares of their chords."

Is this correct?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110902_190701.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Sep 3, 2011 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry, can't read it :redface:

can you type it, please?​

EDIT: oh, and i think the question means a region with one straight side (the "chord"), not two straight sides meeting at the centre :redface:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  10. Sep 3, 2011 #9
    The picture enlarges. It's readable.

In each of the circles, I forgot to draw the chord. Is that what you're talking about?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook