Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The trivial constant force acceleration math

1. Jun 24, 2009 #1
    I accelerate a body by a constant force:
    [tex]a = F/m = F \frac{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}{m_0} [/tex]

I simplify it by fixing F = m0 = c = 1:
    [tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = {\sqrt{1-v^2} [/tex]

This diff equation formalizes the dependence of relativistic body acceleration on its velocity. To get the speed at time t, I solve it rearranging into

[tex] \int{ \frac{dv}{\sqrt{1-v^2}} = t [/tex]

, which is a handbook integral: t = arcsin v, or v = sin t. This 1) satisfies the equation and, as the Einstein's correction of Newton implies, 2) slows the initially constant acceleration down to zero as v approaches 1 and 3) precludes super-light speeds. However, sine reaches v=1 in finite amount of time while texts tell that we should approach the speed of light asymptotically in t = ∞. Oscillations is not what I expected. Where is the mistake?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2009 #2
    When a relativistic particle is accelerated, both the velocity and dynamic (not rest) mass changes. We usually use the momentum p= mv multiplied by a constant, c, to give
    pc = mvc = βmc2
    So for a constant force,

d(pc)/dt = d(βmc2)/dt = const = d(βγm0c2)/dt = m0c2 d(βγ)/dt, where m0c2 is the rest mass in energy units.

It is sometimes easier to use the relation

E2 = (pc)2 + (m0c2)2
    where E is total energy, and E-m0c2 is kinetic energy.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

4. Jun 24, 2009 #3

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The mistake is that F = ma is not valid in relativity. But F = dp/dt is. See post #16 in "A dark part of special relativity(at least for me)" for details.

5. Jun 24, 2009 #4
    Thanks, Greg. I understand the mistake now and that Bob tells me how to derive the a. The v(t) solution now turns to out to be non-trivial.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook