Memorizing the Unit Circle: Tips & Tricks

In summary, to make it easier to remember the unit circle and its values, you can deduce the values for 30 and 45 degrees and then use patterns to determine the values for other angles. You can also use the coordinates of the angles in the first quadrant, which follow a nice pattern. Remember to start at (1,0) and go counterclockwise around the circle. For angles in the other quadrants, you can use the equations of the unit circle and the Pythagorean theorem to determine their values. Additionally, putting everything in terms of pi/2, pi/4, and pi/6 can make it easier to remember the values.
justPAB
I am having a real tough time memorizing the unit circle and it's values. What would you suggest to make easier for me to remember the quadrants, square roots, and radians?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember what is the correct values for 30 degrees and 45 degrees only.

Deduce the rest when you encounter them.

For example, 120 degrees is 30 degrees with respect to the positive y-axis, the x-coordinate negative.

That's all you need.

Thank you! That makes sense, I'll have to memorize them like that; it's been a couple years since trigonometry for me and I missed a semester of math this fall. Onto calculus 2 in spring and I don't want to fail lol.

just remember that all the way around is 2pi radians, amnd then draw apicture and divide up the circle to get fractions of it. e.g. straight up is 1/4 a circle so 2pi/4 = pi/2 radians.

and remember to start at (1,0) (the unit on the positive, i.e. right hand, x axis) and go counterclockwise around the circle.

The coordinates of the angles in the first quadrant are not too difficult to memorize. The x coordinate is the cosine of the angle, and the y coordinate is the sine of the angle. The coordinates follow a nice pattern.

0 (sqrt(4)/2, sqrt(0)/2) = (1, 0)
pi/6 (sqrt(3)/2, sqrt(1)/2)
pi/4 (sqrt(2)/2, sqrt(2)/2)
pi/3 (sqrt(1)/2, sqrt(3)/2)
pi/2 (sqrt(0)/2, sqrt(4)/2) = (0, 1)

As arildno said, you can deduce the angles in the other quadrants.

[itex]\pi/4[/itex] radians is exactly half way between 0 and 90 so is the line y= x. The unit circle has equation [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] so with y= x, [itex]x^2+ x^2= 2x^2= 1[/otex] and [itex]x^2= 1/2[/itex]. [itex]x= cos(\pi/4)= \sqrt{1/2}= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex]. Of course, [itex]sin(\pi/4)= y= x= \sqrt{2}/2[/itex] also.

For [itex]\pi/3[/itex] and [itex]\pi/6[/itex] think of the equilateral triangle which has angles of [itex]\pi/6[/itex] radians. Dropping a perpendicular from one vertex to the opposite side divides the triangle into two right triangles with angles [itex]\pi/3[/itex] and [itex]\pi/6[/itex]. If we take one side of the equilateral triangle to be 2, that will be the hypotenuse of a right triangle and the side opposite the [itex]\pi/6[/itex] angle will be 1. By the Pythagorean theorem, [itex]1^2+ x^2= 2^2[/itex] where x is the length of the other leg (the altitude of the equilateral triangle). That is, [itex]x^2= 4- 1= 3[/itex] so that [itex]x= \sqrt{3}[/itex]. [itex]\sin(\pi/6)= 1/2[/itex], [itex]cos(\pi/6)= \sqrt{3}/2[/itex] and [itex]sin(\pi/3)= \sqrt{}/2[/itex], [itex]cos(\pi/3)= 1/2[/itex].

Of course, multiples of [itex]\pi/2[/itex] are on the axes so those should be easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you draw a circle and label the x and y-axis you can determine the distance that each point on the unit circle is from the point (0,0)

romjke said:
if you draw a circle and label the x and y-axis you can determine the distance that each point on the unit circle is from the point (0,0)
All points on the unit circle are 1 unit from (0, 0).

A way I used to memorize them was to put everything in terms of pi/4 or pi/2. This makes things colossally easier for me. And most of the time I never have to use a calculator for any trig operations.

What did you do about [itex]\pi/3[/itex] and [itex]2\pi/3[/itex]?

HallsofIvy said:
What did you do about [itex]\pi/3[/itex] and [itex]2\pi/3[/itex]?

can be put in terms of pi/6.

physeven said:
can be put in terms of pi/6.
Yes, they can. But you said "put everything in terms of pi/4 or pi/2."

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, they can. But you said "put everything in terms of pi/4 or pi/2."

well i guess what i should have said from the beginning was 'put in terms of pi/2, pi/4 and pi/6.' that would've saved us some reply notifications :P.

What is the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to help understand and solve problems involving angles and triangles.

Why is it important to memorize the unit circle?

Memorizing the unit circle can save time and help with problem-solving in trigonometry. It also serves as a reference for common angles and their corresponding trigonometric values.

What are some tips for memorizing the unit circle?

One tip is to break the unit circle into smaller sections and memorize them separately. Another tip is to create a visual or mnemonic device to help remember the values. Practice and repetition can also aid in memorization.

What are some tricks for using the unit circle?

One trick is to use the symmetry of the unit circle to find the values of angles in different quadrants. Another trick is to use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the values of angles that are not on the unit circle.

How can understanding the unit circle help with solving trigonometric equations?

The unit circle provides a visual representation of trigonometric values and their relationships. This can help in solving equations involving trigonometric functions, as well as identifying patterns and making connections between different angles.