Calculating Flux through shape on irregular plane in 3-Space

In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem from their unit test involving a circle of radius r in 3-space on a plane of ax+by+cz=d and given the circle's center (C1,C2,C3). They mention having seen similar problems before and knowing how to solve for the flux of the field through it, but this problem is more difficult due to the shape being an ellipse instead of a perfect circle. They provide a visual representation of the problem and mention that the vector field is complex. They ask if there is a parametric shadow method for solving this problem.
Dangshnizzle
I'm not sure if I should be posting here of all places but it's worth a shot. I just had my unit test and there was a pretty weird problem on it where there was a circle of radius r in 3space on the plane of ax+by+cz=d and you were given the circle's center (C1,C2,C3). To be clear, I was given numbers for all of these but I'm sure someone will be able to tell me a general method for solving, rather than an answer.

I have seen problems similar to this and know how to solve for the flux of the field through it, but each of those gave shadows of easily integrated shapes when scaled down to 2space --- we would have cylinders cut by planes, giving us perfect circles when looking only at the shape's shadow (z=0) --- but this one would give an ellipse and would be very tough to integrate unless I am missing something.

Here is a quick paint I made (imagine the red circle on the plane is actually a perfect circle on said plane and that a complex vector field F(x,y,z)=<F1,F2,F3> is defined at every point): http://imgur.com/fn0dFRN
By complex vector field I just mean that you can't give me any shortcuts that might exist if the divF=0 or the curlF=<0,0,0>Edit: Maybe someone tell me if there is such a thing as parametric shadow method? There surely is but I have no idea what the Jacobian would be or any of that.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the problem that you are trying to solve? It always helps to mention that.

What is flux?

Flux is a physical quantity that measures the flow of a vector field through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of mass per unit time or energy per unit area.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in space. It is used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, and electric or magnetic fields.

How do you calculate flux through a shape on an irregular plane in 3-space?

To calculate flux through a shape on an irregular plane in 3-space, you will need to use a surface integral. This involves breaking up the shape into smaller pieces and finding the flux through each piece using the dot product of the vector field and the normal vector to that piece. Then, you can add up all the flux values to find the total flux through the shape.

What is an irregular plane?

An irregular plane is a surface that does not have a consistent shape or curvature. It may have bumps, dips, or other irregularities that make it difficult to define a specific equation or function for the surface.

Why is calculating flux through a shape on an irregular plane important?

Calculating flux through a shape on an irregular plane is important in many fields of science and engineering. It can help us understand the flow of fluids, the distribution of electric or magnetic fields, and other physical phenomena. It is also a valuable tool for solving real-world problems and making predictions about how a system will behave.