Calculating Areas of Circumscribed and Inscribed Rectangles in a Unit Circle

• MHB
  • Thread starter 4startimer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of the smallest circumscribed rectangle and the largest inscribed rectangle around a unit circle. It also mentions approximating the area of the unit circle using circumscribed and inscribed rectangles with a width of 0.4 units. The conversation also mentions the importance of recognizing that a rectangle circumscribing a circle or inscribed in a circle is actually a square.
4startimer
I am having a rather difficult time figuring out these 4 problems. Could someone please help.
the images that are provided are of a rectangle circumscribed around a circle, and a rectangle inscribed within a circle.
1. what is the area of the smallest rectangle the can be circumscribed around the unit circle?
2. what is the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed within the unit circle?
3. approximate the area of the unit circle using an appropriate number of circumscribed rectangles if width 0.4 units.
4. approximate the area of the unit circle using an appropriate number of inscribed rectangles if width 0.4 units.How would I go about setting this up. I am fairly lost.Picture: http://postimage.org/image/sq1hzx0zb/

There are more problems than are pictured, so I figure if I can find out how to do these first four, I can complete the rest. I will be posting my work as I finish it in order to confirm that I am doing everything correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
4startimer said:
I am having a rather difficult time figuring out these 4 problems. Could someone please help.
the images that are provided are of a rectangle circumscribed around a circle, and a rectangle inscribed within a circle.
1. what is the area of the smallest rectangle the can be circumscribed around the unit circle?

A rectangle circumscribed around a circle is any rectangle such that all the points of the circle are on or inside the rectangle.

It is obvious that any circumscribed rectangle to a circle can be shrunk until all four sides are tangent to the circle. This condition forces it to be a square. Thus we observe that the minimum area of any cirrcumscribed rectangle to a circle is greater than or equal to the area of a square with each side a tangent to the circle. Such a square has a side equal to the diameter, so is of area 4 (since the diameter of a unit circle is 2).

CB

4startimer said:
2. what is the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed within the unit circle?

It is quite clear that a maximal area inscribed rectangle has its vertices on the circle, and that a diagonal of the rectangle is a diameter of the circle. If one side of the rectangle is \(x\) then the area of the rectangle is \(A(x)=x\sqrt(4-x^2)\).

Now the x that maximises the area is found in the usual manner, by finding the stationary points of A(x) ...

CB

4startimer said:
3. approximate the area of the unit circle using an appropriate number of circumscribed rectangles if width 0.4 units.
4. approximate the area of the unit circle using an appropriate number of inscribed rectangles if width 0.4 units.

Is the wording of part 3 , there are no such rectangles.

The wording of part 4 is also wrong.

CB

You should also realize that a "rectangle circumscribing a circle" or a "rectangle inscribed in a circle" is a square!

1. What is the concept of "Calculus Circumscribe"?

Calculus Circumscribe is a mathematical concept that involves finding the smallest possible circle that can completely enclose a given shape or set of points. This is often used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

2. How is "Calculus Circumscribe" related to calculus?

The concept of Calculus Circumscribe is closely related to calculus because it involves finding the maximum or minimum values of a function. This is typically done by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.

3. What are some real-life applications of "Calculus Circumscribe"?

Calculating the maximum or minimum area of a given shape, finding the maximum or minimum volume of a container, and determining the optimal path for a vehicle to travel are all real-life applications of Calculus Circumscribe.

4. What are some common strategies for solving "Calculus Circumscribe" problems?

Some common strategies for solving Calculus Circumscribe problems include setting up equations using the given information, taking the derivative of the function, and using critical points to determine the maximum or minimum values.

5. Are there any online resources or tools available for "Calculus Circumscribe" help?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for Calculus Circumscribe help, such as calculators, video tutorials, and problem-solving guides. It is always helpful to practice solving different types of problems and seeking assistance from online communities or tutors if needed.