1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I The unit dyadic.A general expression for?

1. Oct 31, 2017 #1

rocdoc

Gold Member

Does anyone know of a general expression for the unit dyadic, given in terms of the language of general curvilinear coordinate systems?Perhaps an expression for its components?Perhaps an expression, just appropriate for use with orthogonal coordinate systems?$$~$$
    In cartesian coordinates the unit dyadic$$\underline{\underline{I}}$$is given by
    $$\underline{\underline{I}}=\mathbf{i}\mathbf{i}+\mathbf{j}\mathbf{j}+\mathbf{k}\mathbf{k}$$
    The unit dyadic has the property that the two dot products between it and a vector, act so as to multiply the vector by a unit scalar,as below$$\underline{\underline{I}}\cdot\mathbf{v}=\mathbf{v}\cdot\underline{\underline{I}}= 1\mathbf{v}= \mathbf{v}$$

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2017 #2

clem

Science Advisor

It would be [itex][{\bf I}]=\sum_i{\bf\hat n}_i{\bf\hat n}_i[/itex] in ny orthogonal coordinate system.

4. Nov 1, 2017 #3
    The expression for the identity tensor (aka the Idemfactor, aka the metric tensor) is given in terms of generalized coordinate basis vectors and Einstein summation convention by:

$$\mathbf{I}=g_{ij}\mathbf{a^i}\mathbf{a^j}$$
    where $$g_{ij}=\mathbf{a_i}\centerdot \mathbf{a_j}$$with ##\mathbf{a_i}## representing the i'th coordinate basis vector, and ##\mathbf{a^i}## representing the i'th reciprocal basis vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted